Capacitive proximity

Hi,
I'm trying to make a capacitive proximity sensor using arduino to detect non metallic objects that comes near to my plastic panel by placing the sensor inside the panel. How can I do that and where should I start?

So what problems are you having learning how those sensors work?

No, i dont want to buy a readymade sensor and put it in my panel instead I want to make my own sensor .

Ralph2694:
No, i dont want to buy a readymade sensor and put it in my panel instead I want to make my own sensor .

You can do it with a couple of small signal transistors and a touch plate.

Can you please tell me how?... Because i tried using touch plate and 555 astable multivibrator circuit by detecting the frequency variation so can you give me a circuit!!

Ralph2694:
Can you please tell me how?... Because i tried using touch plate and 555 astable multivibrator circuit by detecting the frequency variation so can you give me a circuit!!

Because you're too lazy apparently.

Now if you would post the circuits you actually built, including explanations on what it did and/or did not detect, we may be able to give more specific help.

Also I hope you're aware of the limited sensitivity of such sensors to non-conductive objects. Not insensitive (I have some sensors here that do detect being held against a stone wall or a pane of wood) but not as sensitive as with conductive objects. So start with those and make sure your sensor even works.