Capacitive Sensor

What is the range of a capacitive sensor? Can I make the range higher/longer? Is it reliable to use for a project?

That is like asking you what color my neighbor wore last month. Technically the answer would be yes but “how, etc” cannot be answered with the information you gave. Information on the sensor, part number, what your connecting, how, it is connected etc. This response is to help you get started in solving your problem, not solve it for you.
Good Luck & Have Fun!
Gil

Typical capacitive sensors: 1-2 cm.

Can quite easily be extended to about 5 cm.

I've managed reliable detection up to about 40 cm myself, others report up to 80 cm range but those things are so darn sensitive you better make sure even the air in the room they're installed is perfectly still as you will detect it. Seriously. I abandoned my project as it was just too sensitive: it reacted big time to the LEDs switching on and off, and still didn't have the range I was looking for.

gilshultz:
That is like asking you what color my neighbor wore last month. Technically the answer would be yes but "how, etc" cannot be answered with the information you gave. Information on the sensor, part number, what your connecting, how, it is connected etc. This response is to help you get started in solving your problem, not solve it for you.
Good Luck & Have Fun!
Gil

I'm planning to do a rc car that can go near a plastic or wood when the capacitive sensor sense it.
And the 'capacitive sensor' that I am referring to is the capacitive proximity sensor not like the diy ones.

So you have a specific sensor in mind. Why don’t you give a link to that specific sensor?

wvmarle:
So you have a specific sensor in mind. Why don't you give a link to that specific sensor?

The capacitive proximity sensor like this:

The page says:

Detection Range: +- 10 mm.

So that answers one of your questions.
Changing that is generally not possible without modifying the sensor itself, and that in itself may be impossible without destroying the sensor.
It'll detect conductive materials such as metals much better and at greater distance than non-conductive materials such as wood and plastic.

Of note, the page also mentions:

Output Type: PNP
Operating voltage: DC 6 to 36V

Look for an NPN version of the sensor. Then at least you can read it with a 5V Arduino without any fuss.

wvmarle:
The page says: So that answers one of your questions.
Changing that is generally not possible without modifying the sensor itself, and that in itself may be impossible without destroying the sensor.
It'll detect conductive materials such as metals much better and at greater distance than non-conductive materials such as wood and plastic.

Of note, the page also mentions:Look for an NPN version of the sensor. Then at least you can read it with a 5V Arduino without any fuss.

So... there is a huge chance that I could break the sensor itself by adjusting it? And if I would not adjust it, do you have any idea of the range?

sioty:
So... there is a huge chance that I could break the sensor itself by adjusting it?

Yes.

And if I would not adjust it, do you have any idea of the range?

See my quote of the datasheet in #6.

For your specific application: try it, see how much range you get.

wvmarle:
Yes.

See my quote of the datasheet in #6.

For your specific application: try it, see how much range you get.

Okay. Thanks! :slight_smile: