Capacitor Voltage

Hi all!!
I want to ask you if there is a method to know the max voltage that a capacitor tolerate...for example in an eletrolitic capacitor this voltage is write on the case of the capacitor but how can I know it,for example, in a ceramic capacitor without any written...
please help!

The only way is to look at the data sheet and if you haven't got one then there is no way to know if there are no markings on it.

yes I talk about capacitors that I don't know the name so I can't see the datasheet...so the only way is too try with a voltage and see what is the end of the capacitor :slight_smile:

geppou:
so the only way is too try with a voltage and see what is the end of the capacitor :slight_smile:

Yes.

Or look at the physical size of it. Higher voltages are usually bigger for any given capacitance.

If you are only working at arduino voltage levels then you may be worrying over nothing. Virtually all capacitors will tolerate 5 volts (2volt super-capacitors excluded)

If you test a capacitor by applying voltage until it fails, you have just done a destructive test.

And that will likely be some unknown amount greater than the rated voltage.

Can you take a picture of it and post it here? Crop, please, and resample down to something reasonable.

fungus:

geppou:
so the only way is too try with a voltage and see what is the end of the capacitor :slight_smile:

Yes.

Or look at the physical size of it. Higher voltages are usually bigger for any given capacitance.

Only for the same dieletric composition, so no you cannot tell except by destructive
testing if you have a bunch the same. There are dozens of formulations of ceramic
dielectric. You might be able to learn something about the dielectric's by charting its
permittivity against temperature curve, but frankly just go and buy the right capacitor
for your needs!

If you are only working at arduino voltage levels then you may be worrying over nothing. Virtually all capacitors will tolerate 5 volts (2volt super-capacitors excluded)

The problem is that I must work with max of 36V so I search a capacitor that support 50V

Can you take a picture of it and post it here? Crop, please, and resample down to something reasonable.

I don't have these capacitors but I search for these..besides they must be ceramic with 2.2 uF of capacitance(and at least 50V) and they are difficult to find unless I buy a roll of SMD capacitor but they are too much for my application.

Thanks all! :slight_smile:

You can get them in quantities of 10 here:-

But what do you want them for? That might affect what you buy.
The full range is here:-

the problem is that I want to buy only 6 of them and a I don't want to spend 50 cent for example for each and 6-7 euros for spedition...I prefer to buy it on local shop but the best solution is to find for example in ebay or other site a little pack for few euros...site like farnell is only convenient if you want to do this circuit in large scale or if you must buy other component

Then you have a problem with electronics itself and how it works.

Us hobbyists ride on the back of a giant industry you are extremely fortunate to be permitted to buy such small quantities. At such numbers all the price is in the handling.
Take resistors for example, for the same price as you pay for 10 at a Radioshack you could buy 200 from a distributor like Farnell.

Good luck in your quest.

geppou, you still need to tell us what you need this for. Perhaps ceramics are not the best choice. High value ceramics (ie, 1uF and above) tend to change capacitance greatly with voltage and temperature.

ahaha I know very well like electronics market works and it obvious that if you buy 2000 pcs instead 10 pcs the price for unit in first case it's very cheaper than the seconds but if I want only 6 capacitor and spend 5 euros instead to buy 100 capacitors and spend 20 euros I prefer to spend 5 dollars and buy only 6 capacitors because I will not to use them in future(I talk about this case of capacitor 2.2 uF ceramic it's a very rare useful)...because 5 is less than 20...probably I'm better with math :slight_smile:

however the post was answered already in the first reply.... is very simple to find a capacitor because in the application that I want to do the capacitor is specified on the datasheet of one component that I use also with the name...The only problem is how much money I must spend for these..
However Thanks to all :slight_smile:

yep the link Posted by: Grumpy_Mike was a great link. You can buy in quantities of 10. at $0.88GBP each. so for the 10 capacitors you desire you spend $8.8GBP exl shipping. That is nothing like the 0.32GBP for quantities of 2000. which is $640GBP btw. I think the option of buying in 10 is pretty amazing. Its a small number and the price seems pretty fair.
What more do you really want?