capasitor

hey guys good day. ive started this project and it needed a dc motor. do i need to use 0.1uf capasitor for the dc motor? if so, kindly expalin the use of it cause im kind of confuse. im using a motor shield.

thanks in advance

When the motor runs, it generates spikes that can cause problems. The capacitor is wired across the motor to reduce the spikes.

Weedpharma

weedpharma: When the motor runs, it generates spikes that can cause problems. The capacitor is wired across the motor to reduce the spikes.

Weedpharma

soo i ready need it?or is it okay not to have one?

There are regularly posts on this subject. Try it without. If you are happy that there are no problems, leave it off. If you have problems, try the capacitor.

It is recommended to use the capacitor to reduce the possibilities of damage to your other electronics.

Weedpharma

weedpharma: It is recommended to use the capacitor to reduce the possibilities of damage to your other electronics.

And mostly to avoid your Arduino mysteriously crashing.

If this is on/off control only ( no direction reversal ) place a diode across the motor coil ( cathode to V+ of the supply ).

It will reduce the RFI (radio frequency interference) from the motor. If that’s not an issue
it won’t do much, but its good practice. It should be soldered direct on the motor terminals.

MarkT: It will reduce the RFI (radio frequency interference) from the motor. If that's not an issue it won't do much, but its good practice. It should be soldered direct on the motor terminals.

im using l293d motor shield. does it has a build in capasitor?

The capacitor should be directly on the back of the motor - no wires between it and the motor. Hence, it can’t be on the shield.

MorganS: The capacitor should be directly on the back of the motor - no wires between it and the motor. Hence, it can't be on the shield.

if im using stepper motor?do i still have to put capasitor?

Hi, If you google DC motor, you will find that it consists of a magnet or winding to produce a magnetic field around a rotating armature. To feed current to the armature, a pair of brushes sliding against a commutator is used. The combination of the brushes and contact with the commutator produces arcs as it rotates, this then radiates as radio noise and also noise along the wires powering the motor. The capacitor is used to suppress the RF noise so it does not interfere with other electronic equipment.

Tom.... :)

TomGeorge: Hi, If you google DC motor, you will find that it consists of a magnet or winding to produce a magnetic field around a rotating armature. To feed current to the armature, a pair of brushes sliding against a commutator is used. The combination of the brushes and contact with the commutator produces arcs as it rotates, this then radiates as radio noise and also noise along the wires powering the motor. The capacitor is used to suppress the RF noise so it does not interfere with other electronic equipment.

Tom.... :)

any capasitor will do?or just a specific one? im not good at connection so please help ^^

cejans: if im using stepper motor?do i still have to put capasitor?

No, its only needed on DC motors with a commutator, where the arcing on the commutator brushs causes the RF interference spikes. Ceramic 10nF is probably OK, the actual value isn't critical I suspect.

Hi, A 0.1uF capacitor will work fine.

Tom...... :)