Capsense errors CapacitiveSensor04.zip help appreciated

CapacitiveSensor04.zip
http://playground.arduino.cc//Main/CapacitiveSensor?from=Main.CapSense

Any advice appreciated.
As a novice I can’t work out why these errors come up when I try to verify the sketch downloaded form the page linked above:

sketch_jan23capsense:13: error: ‘CapacitiveSensor’ does not name a type
sketch_jan23capsense:14: error: ‘CapacitiveSensor’ does not name a type
sketch_jan23capsense:15: error: ‘CapacitiveSensor’ does not name a type
sketch_jan23capsense.ino: In function ‘void setup()’:
sketch_jan23capsense:20: error: ‘cs_4_2’ was not declared in this scope
sketch_jan23capsense.ino: In function ‘void loop()’:

I am using a macbook with 10.9.1, other sketches work fine, and I have reverted to earlier firmware to ensure sketches upload OK.

#include <CapacitiveSensor.h>

/*
 * CapitiveSense Library Demo Sketch
 * Paul Badger 2008
 * Uses a high value resistor e.g. 10 megohm between send pin and receive pin
 * Resistor effects sensitivity, experiment with values, 50 kilohm - 50 megohm. Larger resistor values yield larger sensor values.
 * Receive pin is the sensor pin - try different amounts of foil/metal on this pin
 * Best results are obtained if sensor foil and wire is covered with an insulator such as paper or plastic sheet
 */

CapacitiveSensor   cs_4_2 = CapacitiveSensor(4,2);        // 10 megohm resistor between pins 4 & 2, pin 2 is sensor pin, add wire, foil
CapacitiveSensor   cs_4_5 = CapacitiveSensor(4,5);        // 10 megohm resistor between pins 4 & 6, pin 6 is sensor pin, add wire, foil
CapacitiveSensor   cs_4_8 = CapacitiveSensor(4,8);        // 10 megohm resistor between pins 4 & 8, pin 8 is sensor pin, add wire, foil

void setup()                    
{

cs_4_2.set_CS_AutocaL_Millis(0xFFFFFFFF);     // turn off autocalibrate on channel 1 - just as an example
   Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop()                    
{
    long start = millis();
    long total1 =  cs_4_2.capacitiveSensor(30);
    long total2 =  cs_4_5.capacitiveSensor(30);
    long total3 =  cs_4_8.capacitiveSensor(30);

Serial.print(millis() - start);        // check on performance in milliseconds
    Serial.print("\t");                    // tab character for debug window spacing

Serial.print(total1);                  // print sensor output 1
    Serial.print("\t");
    Serial.print(total2);                  // print sensor output 2
    Serial.print("\t");
    Serial.println(total3);                // print sensor output 3

delay(10);                             // arbitrary delay to limit data to serial port 
}

The messages indicate that you have not downloaded the library and installed it in the correct place. Did you download it? Where did you install it?

i am Having the same problem extracted the capacitiveSensor.zip file into the libraries folder where my sketches are but getting error messages
can anyone help please

Let us know if you want a picture of an answer. Otherwise, post your code properly, and ALL of the error messages.

Most likely, this:

extracted the capacitiveSensor.zip file into the libraries folder where my sketches are

is NOT what you did.

Hi Paul i just wondered if anyone could help with the capsense issue i and a few more are having
this is the code and errors thank you
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

#include <CapacitiveSensor.h>

/*

• CapitiveSense Library Demo Sketch
  • Paul Badger 2008
  • Uses a high value resistor e.g. 10M between send pin and receive pin
  • Resistor effects sensitivity, experiment with values, 50K - 50M. Larger resistor values yield larger sensor values.
  • Receive pin is the sensor pin - try different amounts of foil/metal on this pin
    */

CapacitiveSensor cs_4_2 = CapacitiveSensor(4,2); // 10M resistor between pins 4 & 2, pin 2 is sensor pin, add a wire and or foil if desired
CapacitiveSensor cs_4_6 = CapacitiveSensor(4,6); // 10M resistor between pins 4 & 6, pin 6 is sensor pin, add a wire and or foil
CapacitiveSensor cs_4_8 = CapacitiveSensor(4,8); // 10M resistor between pins 4 & 8, pin 8 is sensor pin, add a wire and or foil

void setup()
{
cs_4_2.set_CS_AutocaL_Millis(0xFFFFFFFF); // turn off autocalibrate on channel 1 - just as an example
Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop()
{
long start = millis();
long total1 = cs_4_2.capacitiveSensor(30);
long total2 = cs_4_6.capacitiveSensor(30);
long total3 = cs_4_8.capacitiveSensor(30);

Serial.print(millis() - start); // check on performance in milliseconds
Serial.print("\t"); // tab character for debug windown spacing

Serial.print(total1); // print sensor output 1
Serial.print("\t");
Serial.print(total2); // print sensor output 2
Serial.print("\t");
Serial.println(total3); // print sensor output 3

delay(10); // arbitrary delay to limit data to serial port
}

errors are
capacitiveSensorSketch:12: error ‘capacitiveSensor’ does not name a type
capacitiveSensorSketch:13: error ‘capacitiveSensor’ does not name a type
capacitiveSensorSketch:14: error ‘capacitiveSensor’ does not name a type
capacitiveSensorSketch.pde: in function 'void setup() ’ ;
capacitiveSensorSketch:18: error ‘cs_4_2’ was not declared in this scope
capacitiveSensorSketch.pde: in function ‘void loop()’ :
capacitiveSensorSketch:25: error ‘cs_4_2’ was not declared in this scope
capacitiveSensorSketch:26: error ‘cs_4_6’ was not declared in this scope
capacitiveSensorSketch:27: error ‘cs_4_8’ was not declared in this scope

Well, I don't have that library installed. When I compile your code, I get the EXACT same set of messages, with one addition:

sketch_jun02a.ino:1:30: warning: CapacitiveSensor.h: No such file or directory

So, despite your comment about installing the library correctly, you didn't. Or, you didn't restart the IDE after doing so.

hi thanks for that well can you or anyone tell me where i am going wrong please i restarted the ide and followed someone elses advice and unzipped the files into Arduino / libraries but still no joy if anyone can help id really appreciate it thanks.

Clearly you know how to post pictures. So, post one showing where you actually installed the library. Post a link to where you got it, too.

pictures of where i got the zip file and where i unzipped it into the Arduino/library folder

You should have a libraries folder in the folder where you store your sketches. If not, create one.

Open the zip file. There is a single folder in it. Open that folder. It contains two more folders. Drag the CapacitiveSensor folder to the libraries folder in your sketch folder.

In my case, that results in C:\Users\PaulS\Arduino\libraries\CapacitiveSensor containing CapacitiveSensor.h, CapacitiveSensor .cpp, keywords.txt, a Readme file, and an examples folder.

big big Thank you it works a treat