Capturing data?

Okay so i'm having a problem. I'm very new to arduino.
Not sure if this is the right board but anyway...

So i dug out my old digimon virtual pet (tamagochi like device) and after rigging a power source to replace the batteries (old phone charger cut and soldered directly on to the battery positive and negative leads) i realised there was no fun in having it if i don't have anyone to battle. So i decided i'd try rig something up. Now it has 2 metal connectors at the top.

My question is how can i log/save the data sent from these 2 connectors so i could then send it back? Possibly save it so i could use it again because i assume different monsters have different winning chance so i assume they send a different signal. :slight_smile:

Any help greatly appreciated :sunglasses:

What are the metal connectors doing ?

How are they connected to the "thing" ?

What kind of data are they sending ?

i had one of those toys. if i recall, you only put them together to start a battle, then the wireless kicks in. seems like it might be a little more involved

What are the metal connectors doing ?

they sit there you touch it to another ones metal connector and it initialises a battle with your opponent

How are they connected to the “thing” ?

What do you mean? They are soldered on to the board inside of the device.

What kind of data are they sending ?

I have no idea what kind of sata they are sending that’s what i want to find out and replicate it.

i had one of those toys. if i recall, you only put them together to start a battle, then the wireless kicks in. seems like it might be a little more involved

]

i’m pretty sure there is no wireless and that it just sends some data to the other one and predetermines the outcome.

I just split up an old usb cable and tried to get data using the D+ and D- leads and tried to use some USB snooping software. No luck. Could i do this? Is there something i did wrong? Would i be better off using a serial connection somehow?

that method would probably never work. 1.) im pretty sure usb uses differential signaling. 2.) you have to have handshaking and all sorts of protocol stuff before you even start sending data over usb.

looks like you need a logic analyzer. search the board, i think i've seen a couple people make basic ones out of their arduino's and processing software.