Car Breathalyser

Hi there

So I'm almost completely new to ardunio, we've been given a project at university and although we dont need a working model we need a technical report and be able to explain how this may work.

We're thinking of implementing a Car breathalyser test, so drivers must take a breathalyser test the first time they attempt to drive the car.

The driver will turn the ignition on which will power the system, a finger print scanner will be in place so only certain users may drive based on them passing or not. The system will identify the user for the rest of the day so if they have passed they only need to rest their fingerprint on the scanner or if they have failed they can retake the test. Should they fail the test the car will not start, how will we do this?

Anyone able to help us with how this may work?

Thanks Fraser

Anyone able to help us with how this may work?

Aren't you supposed to be doing the work?

This is for a school project so expecting code probably isnt going to happen.

However, communication isnt a problem. :)

For myself.. I would break this down into its smaller parts first.. then work on combining things.

So your first step is to:

1.) Get the Arduino set-up with the finger print scanner, and then get that logic all sorted out * identifying a user * knowing if the users has taken the test before? * rest of the day? how? are you adding an RTC? (real time clock module to keep track of the time/day?)

I would start there.. get a nice, clean and solid fingerprint system working.. then you can prompt for other behavior (like prompting for the breathalyzer test...etc)

So what do you need in your fingerprint system? * Do you have the chosen hardware? * Do you know/understand how to check a finger print scan against a 'database' of good/allowed users/drivers? * Do you understand how to 'log' whether a person took the test or not? failed or passed? * Do you have something worked out WHEN this 'check' resets? Is it a daily test? every time a users starts the car? If there is criteria to this.. have you thought about HOW you will implement such criteria/restrictions?

At this point.. you can throw in some serial monitor output... to 'flag' the users who should be prompted to take the breathe test...

then you can start implementing the breathalyzer aspect of this project..

Once that is complete.. you can worry about the mechanical/digital 'defeats' you have on the car to disable it starting.. or enabling it to be started by the target user.

How will the system identify the person that blew into the detector is the same that turned the key or used the fingerprint scanner.?

Boardburner2: How will the system identify the person that blew into the detector is the same that turned the key or used the fingerprint scanner.?

Even the expensive court-ordered systems can't do that!

Paul