Carpenter Trying to Make a Word Processor

Hi,

I'm a cabinetmaker looking to make a very simple wooden laptop with basic typing functionality and little else (maybe saving files, exporting documents via USB, multiple pages... that's it really). There will be no editing functionality. I don't even want a delete key.

Is Arduino the right choice for me and is there any guidance anyone could give me to further this project, please?

Many thanks, Bart

No. I don't think an Arduino would be at all suitable - not fast enough, not enough memory, not a USB host. What you describe sounds like a small PC so a Raspberry Pi should be suitable.

...R

What you need for the "little else", apart from the hardware, is a full blown OS, which comes with USB drivers, network and file management, document and image processors, internet browser, and more. Then there is left almost no job for your own program. Else you'll end up with something like a ZX-81, incapable of communication with the outer world.

Maybe a Raspberry Pi would be better suited for your needs. (already has the OS).. attach periphs..

bartharris: I'm a cabinetmaker looking to make a very simple wooden laptop with basic typing functionality and little else (maybe saving files, exporting documents via USB, multiple pages... that's it really). There will be no editing functionality. I don't even want a delete key.

Depending on your meaning of "very simple" and "basic typing functionality" it may be possible. You would certainly need a typewriter style keyboard and almost certainly a display of some kind (2 rows of 16 characters? 4 rows of 20 characters?). An SD card or external EEPROM to store all the keystrokes and a program on a PC to read the keystrokes via USB Serial. What do you envision using this rudimentary device for?