Cars that switch off and re-start in the traffic: batteries?

The Prius is (presumably) different, but surely none of these “instant start” systems could in fact, stop with the air conditioning running.

If anything, the engine would cycle on and off with the air con (which would only engage after the engine had started each time). That is part of the normal air conditioning control system.

Which reminds me - my Forester air conditioning belt (separate from the alternator/ steering belt) is squealing and I need to do some spanner work.

TomGeorge:
Hi, if you stopped for “bagels” and you left the kids in the car, I’d be taking the keys with me.

If you left the kids in the car, people would be calling DOCS.

Shpaget: What interests me more, is how does the rest of the car behave once the engine is off? Some of the systems, like cooling, are usually driven by the serpentine belt that in turn is driven by the engine. Once the engine is stopped, the belt stops, which means that those critical systems need to be driven by something else, other than the engine. First thing that comes to mind is an electric motor of some sort, most likely powered by the battery.

What happens if the engine is stopped, the car thinks you're waiting for the green light, but you actually just stepped outside to get some bagels for your family that waits in the car. Unfortunately it's a busy day at the bagel place and it takes you longer to get back to the car than expected. All this time your car is running the AC, engine cooling and whatnots, draining the batteries. Does the car shut down completely before the battery drains to the point where it doesn't have enough energy to restart the car, or does it restart the car to recharge the battery?

When the engine stops you don't keep pumping coolant as there is no need. A stopped engine doesn't produce more heat and what is there is well within the oil and coolant lines to absorb safely by design.

I've seen idiots that start engines while their headlights are on. Their knowledge of the machine ends at the controls and key and they pay for it in operation and maintenance costs.

Well, let's assume the kids are supervised by another responsible, but otherwise technologically impaired, adult.

GoForSmoke, yeah I suppose that would be the case.

Even my Type-3 VW’s quit pumping oil when the engine stopped.
I loved those cars!

GoForSmoke: I've seen idiots that start engines while their headlights are on. Their knowledge of the machine ends at the controls and key and they pay for it in operation and maintenance costs.

I am forever troubled by people - I will refrain from the term "idiots" - who drive in daylight with their headlights on. I ascribe it to essential narcissism, as how they could imagine that driving into unnecessary glare could be anything but a safety menace should be blatantly evident. And of course it completely nullifies the genuine benefit of requiring motorcycles to have their headlights permanently on.

The thing is that this is encouraged by cars like my Forester which turn the headlights off with the ignition (you cannot even use the high beam flash) and of course, in this case the headlights go on as you try to start the car.

Paul__B: I am forever troubled by people - I will refrain from the term "idiots" - who drive in daylight with their headlights on. I ascribe it to essential narcissism, as how they could imagine that driving into unnecessary glare could be anything but a safety menace should be blatantly evident. And of course it completely nullifies the genuine benefit of requiring motorcycles to have their headlights permanently on.

The thing is that this is encouraged by cars like my Forester which turn the headlights off with the ignition (you cannot even use the high beam flash) and of course, in this case the headlights go on as you try to start the car.

That's one opinion. An other is that it is a statutory requirement here in sweden to have headlights on during daytime and that it has decreased accidents considerably. Also when i motocycle trroug germany, where this is still voluntary, you will notice that the detection range of meeting traffic which has their headlight on is 3 or 4 times longer that of those who dont. And distance assessment is much much easier with headlights on. The glare risk of headligts in daylight is non existent.

I forget how many years ago I found out that Canada required cars to have headlights always on because there were too many people who didn't use them in poor light conditions. How many hours of lights off does a single wreck offset?

I always turned my bike headlight on because for too many people, motorcycles are invisible. Even with the headlight and horn blaring there are some that will still blank you including cops.

I am watching the Teslas with interest and noting the steady improvements in solar and battery tech. My hope is that Big Oil and various Chambers of (Protected) Commerce don't kill it but this country is far deeper into cronyism than maybe anyone really knows. We could be seeing a change as big as the horse and buggy to Model T step right now. If it makes it, the changes will come in a generation maybe less instead of 50 to 100 years. If graphene gets common, I expect really big advances fast.

the detection range of meeting traffic which has their headlight on is 3 or 4 times longer that of those who dont. And distance assessment is much much easier with headlights on.

I never thought of it that way. You are of course correct Nilton!

Hi, re leaving keys in car. If you want your porsche and wife stolen, leave the keys in the car when you get petrol.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Bertrand-loses-Porsche-wife-briefly/2004/12/11/1102625584529.html

Who is John Bertrand, ask the yachties in the US. he he he.

Tom....... :)

nilton61: An other is that it is a statutory requirement here in Sweden to have headlights on during daytime and that it has decreased accidents considerably.

That puzzles me greatly.

Apparently our countries are very different. Here we have a convention that one drives on one particular side of the road - it happens to be on the left - so that it is not necessary to avoid oncoming traffic. :grin:

If i open the door while the car has stopped the engine, i’ll get a warning telling me to remove the key.
So the car knows i just stepped out, i guess that means it can also conclude not to do things it isn’t supposed to do.

If i have for instance the airco switched on, chances are high the engine will not be stopped unless the temperature has reached the setting (i think).
If necessary the engine will be started before the battery level gets too low to make that happen.

So all in all, seems like some folk have put quite a bit of thought into this whole thing.

Paul__B: If you left the kids in the car, people would be calling DOCS.

Not when your kids are 28 and 21.

JimboZA: So all in all, seems like some folk have put quite a bit of thought into this whole thing.

Damned clever, those Japanese.

Henry_Best: Damned clever, those Japanese.

Probably a bunch of Arduino hobbyists.....

Henry_Best: Not when your kids are 28 and 21.

Your 21 and 28 year old ride with you?

Wow!