Case Tampering Detection

Hello, Arduino Community!

I've been looking for ways to detect instances of tampering for our fire alarm detector units. I've already thought of using a tactile push switch or putting two conductive objects together and allowing Arduino to check if they are placed apart when someone opens the case.

I've also read about safety interlock switches. But is there any smaller, cheaper and more efficient means to detect tampering?

Lead & wire seals?
Maybe copy something the food industry uses to make sure jars are not tampered with.

If you are going to use an Arduino how are you going to get wiring from the fire alarms back to it?

@ardly
Each detector is actually independent and consists of a Pro Mini, an XBee, some sensors and other circuitry. It just sends an alarm towards the monitoring center wirelessly. It's an IoT-based system btw. :smiley: Did I get your questiin right?

Any (micro)switch will do, but... switch contacts that are not used frequently oxidise over time, and might fail.
That's why alarm systems use magnets and glass encapsulated reed contacts.
If you use a microswitch, use it in 'normally closed' mode, so when the contact fails it also sets off the alarm.
Leo..

@Wawa

Thank you for your response. :slight_smile:

rayrayrayyourboat:
@ardly
Each detector is actually independent and consists of a Pro Mini, an XBee, some sensors and other circuitry. It just sends an alarm towards the monitoring center wirelessly. It’s an IoT-based system btw. :smiley: Did I get your questiin right?

Yes you got my question. Your original post did not make it clear that you had a IoT based system with WiFi. I was thinking you had a basic off-the-shelf system so wiring the detectors back to something or adding a processor with power supply and coms (and fitting it all into the existing detector) would be fairly impossible.

@wawas comments make sense.

@ardly

Yeah but anyway, you got my thanks! :wink: