Casio camera serial to arduino

Ok lets start with me saying i havent got accomplished anything. (i didnt 'hacked'it yet.... i need help).

I opened a Casio camera (Casio exilim ex-z33 (yeah forget the spec's it sucks)) in order to do something with my spare time.
And searching for parts i could potentionally use on my (still to build) robot.

Not expecting very interesting parts , it happens to turn out the thing has a Ground, 3.3 volt, Rx, Tx just under the hood (EASY TO GET BY!!!!).

As i'm not a hacker: what to do, what to do?!
i didnt soldered anything yet.... even if i do i still have to know the 'casio'commands in order to get it send me someting back, right?! (to arduino).
do i need some kind of analyser ? (like lady ada (putting a beagle480 between camera and pc?) (see Hacking the Kinect - How to hack USB device drivers
Suggestions please :smiley:

You need to state what you actually want to do. If it has anything to do with videocapture/processing, the arduino probably won't work.

As i'm not a hacker: what to do, what to do?!

Connect 3.3v to the 3.3v pin, gnd to gnd and tx to the arduino.

Fiddle with the camera, adjust serial baud rates and see what you get!

Mowcius

Connect 3.3v to the 3.3v pin

I wouldn't do that first I would power up the camera and see if 3v3 comes out of that connector. The rest is OK.
Also I would Google "Casio exilim ex-z33 hacking" and see what you get.

I wouldn't do that first I would power up the camera and see if 3v3 comes out of that connector. The rest is OK.

Yeah, I suppose so. I kinda had it in my head that if you provided it with 3.3v it would power up but even if it did, it would probably draw too much current for the 3.3v supply on the arduino from the FTDI chip.

Mowcius

it would power up but even if it did, it would probably defiantly draw too much current for the 3.3v supply on the arduino from the FTDI chip.

The arduio's 3v3 line is restricted to 50mA, do you know a camera that will run off that? There isn't one on the planet.
Mind you the UNO has it's own real 3v3 regulator so I think that can supply a lot more but probably still not enough for a camera..

Ow, yeah...my first post was very brief.

The camera is not in use anymore, the battery is empty and i cant charge it.

The arduino doesnt have to do anything with the pictures or something.
I was just curious if i could send commands to the camera and thereby saving the pics on the sdcard.... and also get 'simple' storage for arduino data (without having to buy another shield).

i thought the problem was getting the serial (possible 'secret' casio) commands right,
but according to you the real problem would be the 'power up'.

i might still try it... what if (very unlikely) i can get the power working?
how do you think i could decipher the protocol? i means its prob. just hexadecimal numbers sending right?

and also get 'simple' storage for arduino data

No way - it is probably only things like triggering the shutter, although it could be that it is a USB interface in which case you have no chance of using it.

but according to you the real problem would be the 'power up'.

No you miss read us. This is your FIRST problem. The biggest one as you say is figuring out the method of communication followed by the bytes needed to do anything useful.

ok, missread indeed; im quite certain the camera doesnt work on 50ma.

but checking on 'other camera's like the:
C328 Comedia JPEG Color Camera - UART Interface - SEN-09334 - SparkFun Electronics
Linksprite http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10061
they use 60ma and 80-100ma respectively.
How is it that people worked out the c328 camera if even that shouldnt work on arduino?.

indeed first working out the powerup issues and then trying to trow some random numbers to the casio-rx.

What makes you think the spark fun product is like your camera. Where as yours is a complete piece of consumer equipment the spark fun is only a module, a small part o a product.

yeah it is but all of those camera's wouldnt work on arduino right?
i havent seen anyone using the linksprite or (anyone on the hole internet opening a casio ex-z33) but the c328 is working? why?

The problem with digital cameras is that they usually don't use simple serial communication. It probably uses USB, which will prove to be an issue. Sure, your arduino has an FTDI chip which converts serial to USB compatible communication, but you can't just hook up your arduino USB cable to it and expect it to work. You'll probably find quite quickly that the camera is not a "smart" device. The camera probably does not have a USB host controller.

Most "dumb" USB devices (memory sticks, headphones, keyboards, mice, etc) require a driver or a host controller in order to access the device. Windows and Mac (and even Linux most of the time) these days come standard with lots of generic drivers that can be used to access similar devices. For any extra functionality, you need a specific driver from the manufacturer.

You may be able to hack the commands to access the camera's hardware, but it probably won't be very easy. You might even be able to get a USB listner and use some Casio software to access the camera and snoop on the USB data to find out what they're sending to access the camera. That will be hard and take time... but is possible. I'm not going to spend my time doing that though... not when I can buy a cheap cmos camera that will do the trick (and is meant to work with microcontrollers) for not much more than $20-25.

yeah, well if it takes to much time...and i need to buy something (like the usb listner) i'm out.... the camera sucked anyway....takes 10 secs for a single shot.

tell me which cmos camera did you get? i was thinking of buying the linksprite from sparkfun but that costs 50 bucks.

I didn't buy a CMOS camera yet. I've used them in college projects in the past, but I no longer have access to them. One project used a CMUCam2 ($160) but that was complete overkill. Sparkfun has ones such as the CMOS Camera Module - 640x480 (sku: SEN-0063) for as little as $20. You'll need to decide what you want to do with it so you can know how much money it will cost.