Cat watcher projcet planning

Hi all,

Just starting a project, so I'd like to get some suggestions on the design and hardware.

The goal is to 1. Take series of still images when a cat enters a specific area 2. Store the images locally on a SD card, and sent to a cloud storage with regular interval 3. Able to view the images through a browser in a chronological order

Most likely the logic is something like:

Cat enters the area -> detected by (proximity sensor/IRSensor/mechanical switch) ->Trigger the camera(image taken) -> stored locally -> uploaded to cloud

I am not quite sure which one to choose between an Arduino Micro or RaspberryPi Zero W since both of them are able to connect with camera .

So I come out with something like(Arduino Micro + ESP8266 WiFi + proximity sensor + I2C camera module) or (Pi Zero Wireless + Pi camera + proximity sensor)

Software perspective I am a windows guy, familiar with Arduino but has 0 experience with RaspberryPi

Any suggestions are appriciated.

So I come out with something like(Arduino Micro + ESP8266 WiFi + proximity sensor + I2C camera module) or (Pi Zero Wireless + Pi camera + proximity sensor)

Do some research.

How many bytes of data is one image from the camera, in each case? How long will it take to get the data from the camera to the microcontroller? In the case of the Micro, how long will it take to get the data from the Micro to the ESP?

Do you know how to make the ESP send picture data to "the cloud"?

The project, as described, will be far easier on a Pi.

Reinvention of a Game - Camera in a crippled version?

Boring.

Use a NodeMCU or WeMOS D1, drop the Arduino.

Both have up to 3 MB flash for on-board storage for images, to temporarily store them. A few images should fit just fine. There are also ESP8266 modules with 16 MB flash, giving you even more space for the images.

All in all should be a pretty straightforward project to build.

PLEASE let your cat's name be "Eric"?