CC or low voltage?

Hi,

I wanted to power a 12V led strip (2835 chips) of 60 cm in low brightness mode so that I can use it as a form of night light.

The problem is that I don't know what is the best method to power it at low brightness output.

-Should I buy a CC-CV module and reduce the current flow to the led strip ?
-Should I reduce the voltage to the led strip ?
-Should I use a potentiometer?

I used a 18650 with a XL6009 boost module to supply 12V to test the strip and is working fine at full brightness. Then I tried a 10K ohm pot and got the desired brightness while boost module out at 12V. After that I removed the pot and reduced the boost output voltage to about 7V and I got the desired brightness without the pot. Should I simply use any of these setup or should I buy a CC CV module and use current control?

I know that a pot will simply waste excess power as heat. So will a 7V supply to the strip do any damage to the strip or boost module or battery in the long run? :confused:

If it works at 7V it looks like it's already got resistors in it. If you're satisfied with that option it's the easiest so go with it.

I see 1 smd resistor for every 3 leds. resistor code 151 (150 Ω).

You could use a pwm output from the arduino with a drive transistor to power the strip, and read the 10k pot as an analog input for adjusting the brightness

Allan.

allanhurst:
You could use a pwm output from the arduino with a drive transistor to power the strip, and read the 10k pot as an analog input for adjusting the brightness

Allan.

Overkill. He's already got a voltage regulator with a pot adjustment that provides an acceptable result.

Do you know how much battery time you're going to get out of an 18650?

Jiggy-Ninja:
Do you know how much battery time you're going to get out of an 18650?

Haven't run it till the battery dies since I'm using a crappy chinese 18650 to see if it runs or not so the runtime I get out of it won't matter anyway, the actual capacity of that battery maybe like 400mAh or something if I'm lucky.

Anyways I read the voltage at 7.5 volts at 0.06 amp draw to get the brightness I want.

I upped it to 7.5 volts because at 7 volts not all leds were evenly lit, only the first one of every 3 leds were the brightest and the last one was hardly lit.