CD4053B on Controlling 8x8 LED Matrix

Hello, do anybody here know how to control 8x8 LED Matrix with CD4053B multiplexer?
A guidance, tutorial, or even basic guidance on how to use it would be useful for me.

Here is the datasheet. http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/26884/TI/CD4053BE.html

Thank you :slight_smile:

Use A/B/C to select which output to be connected to which in/out.

Fundamentally the same as a shift register but allows parallel input.

Fundamentally the same as a shift register but allows parallel input.

No it is not.

This is not a good device to use as the current you can get through it is limited.

Okay to be honest I don't have any good background in electronics. As far as I know multiplexer is for extending input and output pins.

How can I basically use this IC to extends my Arduino UNO pin? And how can I access the extended pin from the code?

Thank you. :)

That chip is great for switching eight analogue inputs into one of the A/D inputs on the arduino. Drive the select pins with three arduino outputs to select the one out of eight inputs you want to measure. Using it to spray a logic signal to eight outputs, which it will do, does not have much of an application in the arduino world. It has been used in some demo tutorials to light LEDs but that just leads to the confusion amongst beginners with them thinking that is the way you do outputs. You don't.

Well you mean it is capable of switching 8 analog pin from Arduino to one A/D (pin 9 - 13 ?) inputs from Arduino?

So what chip I should take if I want to control a lot of LEDS for cheap price (below 5Euro)? I found max7219 is pretty convenient to interface but it is expensive. :(

How can I basically use this IC to extends my Arduino UNO pin?

Simple: use one cd4053 to control the column and another the row. Put the leds on the cross - like a matrix.

To turn on an led, turn on its corresponding col/row.

dhenry:

How can I basically use this IC to extends my Arduino UNO pin?

Simple: use one cd4053 to control the column and another the row. Put the leds on the cross - like a matrix.

To turn on an led, turn on its corresponding col/row.

Total rubbish, sorry but out Henry is apt to give rubbish advice.

Yes the max7219 can be expensive but it is the chip you need. Try looking on eBay you can get it for a fraction of the price.

So what chip I should take if I want to control a lot of LEDS for cheap price (below 5Euro)?

Shift registers would be another way to go.

Or if you have 16 pins then you need nothing.

I have been using a HEF4067b to drive 16 7 seg displays, works well

4067 is similar to 4053 in that they are both switches.

P18F4550: I have been using a HEF4067b to drive 16 7 seg displays, works well

Then you know less than I thought you did. What a dreadful idea.

It's a case of whats to hand, they were to hand

Have you looked at taydaelectronics.com for a MAX7219? $1.25, inexpensive shipping (to the US anyway). http://www.taydaelectronics.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=max7219