CE certification for Arduino pozyx

I am using pozyx hardware. But there is no CE marking on pozyx. My customer said this is a must. Is this true?

I fear that I get problems because of the missing certification. But I have invested much time already. Do you know what I need to do? I am a programmer and have no idea from hardware. can I make a certificate myself? Or can I buy something else?

Contact Pozyx.

My customer said this is a must. Is this true?

If that's your customer's requirement that's your customer's requirement. If the customer says it has to be purple and run from a 1.5V battery, those are the requirements!

It may or may not be legally required depending on what the product is and where you are selling it.

I don't know if CE certification includes radio frequency certification. Here in the U.S. radio frequencies are regulated by the FCC so most electrical products have a UL and/or CE sticker/label as well as an FCC sticker/label. That's not only for radio frequency equipment. Everything electrical/electronic has be certified that it doesn't emit radio frequency interference.

can I make a certificate myself?

Theoretically, yes. Practically, no. An independent certification company has a team of lawyers, engineers, and technicians, and they've been through the process before.

P.S.
:stuck_out_tongue: I forgot about the RoHS label. :stuck_out_tongue:

can I make a certificate myself?

I have to say I am a little shocked you would ask this.

Mainly because you must realize that the sticker or mark represents passing multiple tests with special equipment and to certain standards by companies that are certified to do so.

Your question really implies intent to 'fake' the certification, does it not ?

CE certification applies to finished products, not to parts. If Pozyx (I have no idea who they are) make finished products and they are sold within the EU then they should be CE certified, otherwise not. For example, a washing machine has to be CE certified, but the supplier of the screws the washing machine manufacturer uses does not have to certify the screws, because screws are parts.

It is for this reason that a lot of stuff sold to hobbyists is sold in kit form; kits are not finished products. It is supposedly the responsibility of the person completing the kit to get the product certified, like that's ever going to happen.

If you are selling finished products then you are responsible for certification, the people supplying you do not have to certify the parts they sell you. However, of course, as DVDdoug has pointed out, the customer can specify anything they like, you can decide whether you want to supply them or not.

POZYX

Afaik, CE is a self certification, doesn't require outside testing etc.

But of course that doesn't mean you can just get a box of stickers run off....

All products imported or sold in the EU must have the CE Mark. Affixing the CE Mark to a product indicates that it has been tested and meets the required Directives that apply.

For CE testing, a typical product may need to concurrently meet two to three different Directives to meet all of the essential requirements as dictated by the European Union. In addition to meeting concurrent Directives, depending on your product type the required testing standards can differ from product to product, even though for example each product is meeting the same directive. The required analysis is more detailed than with FCC EMC testing.

https://www.sunfiretesting.com/ce/

Affixing the CE Mark to a product indicates that it has been tested and meets the required Directives that apply.

But that testing can be your own I think, doesnt have to be at bodies like UL. You assert that it meets the specs and produce records to that effect.

But that testing can be your own I think, doesnt have to be at bodies like UL. You assert that it meets the specs and produce records to that effect.

I don't think so. It wouldn't mean much if it didn't require certification to certify.

But that testing can be your own I think

If the OP is looking for solid legal advice, this forum is clearly not the place to be asking.

His sticker isn't going to be worth the paper it's printed on.

rtlsprogrammer:
My customer said this is a must. Is this true?

If your customer requires it, then yes its true, obviously.

To be put on the market or into service in the EC all products such as your describing need to follow the CE process.

Being a programmer does not excempt your business from CE requirements, if you dont understrand the CE stuff, employ a professional adviser.

Last time I asked someone who had gone throught the CE process for an RF device, the required testing was circa £20,000 plus 5-6 weeks of engineering time.

Last time I asked someone who had gone throught the CE process for an RF device, the required testing was circa £20,000 plus 5-6 weeks of engineering time.

Based on your responses in this post, it would seem fair to conclude you did not take this into account when you quoted the job and probably that's why you got the job (because your bid was so low).

Are you telling me you have no document stating the requirements of the job ?