CE Mark on Arduino

Hi All,

What directives has the Arduino covered to achieve the CE mark (or more specifically has it been through EMC testing)? Also, is there a Declaration of Conformity kicking around?

Cheers,
Si.

I don’t have anything to do with the Arduino officially but from what I understand of CE is that emissions testing is not required on something sold as a development board and not as a product.

Most other development boards I have say this explicitly but there is no requirement to do so.

The CE badge is a tricky one.

It basically means that the manufacturer states that a product complies with some requirements. As far as I know anybody can print that on anything! You can get in trouble afterwards if it should be tested though.

Some other labels may only be used after tests for compliance have been passed, which is more useful.

From wikipedia:

STEP 1: Identify Applicable "DIRECTIVES"
STEP2 : Identify Applicable "Conformity Assessment Module"
Although CE Marking follows the Self Declaration principle, depending upon product complexity and risk to human life, various conformity assessment module are prescribed:-
Module 'A' (Internal Production control).
Applicable for products falling under EMC and Low Voltage Directives. Manufacturer tests the product from third party. After compliance with the tests, his production process ensures continued conformance. He maintains "Technical Documentation" as a proof of compliance. There is No mandatory involvement of European Lab (i.e. Notified Body).
Module 'B' to 'H'
Mandatory involvement of European Lab is required which issues "Type Examination Certificate", certifies documentation (called "Technical Construction File"(TCF) and carries out inspections.
STEP3 : Identify Applicable "Standard"
STEP4 : Test one sample of the product. Either yourself or from test lab.
STEP5 : Compile "Technical Documentation"
STEP 6 : Sign the EC "Declaration of Conformity"
STEP 7 : Affix "CE Mark" on the product.

Step 4 says it all. Most of it is just bureaucratic nonsense. I wouldn’t rely on CE badges when purchasing a product. There are better ones. They may come from local testing institutes, but that doesn’t matter. At least they test first and then permit affixing the badge.

But my all time favourite EU regulation deals with the radius of curvature of bananas. “The bananas must be ‘green and unripened’ …”. Come to think of it, Green and unripened fits for most politicians as well.

hi,
as far as i can tell you don’t need any special testing. you just tag the CE symbol on your product, thus declaring it conform with european directives. DC-products below 70V are considered kind of harmless by nature. i believe EMC testing is optional if your product isn’t likely (rather electrically able) to emit any critical EM (->Arduino)

at least that’s what i remember from what i read about ot on the net.

DC-products below 70V are considered kind of harmless by nature.

Rubbish.

i believe EMC testing is optional

No if it has an oscillator of any type in it then it should be tested.

But as I said it doesn’t apply to development boards.