Cell Phone Issue

Everyone is familiar with the issue of cellphone batteries. They are huge and stupid.

I can't replace that technology, but I started thinking about my own power needs and thought I could do something to fix the huge stupid battery.

Is this an Arduino fix? Possibly. I have a lot of faith in Arduino, and the Arduino community.

My idea is as follows:

3 generators in a circuit with a variable voltage on each one, all stacked together nice and thin. A piezoelectric, a photovoltaic, and a peltier. All of these guys work continuously to feed a secondary battery, 3000mAh therabouts. My thought is that these three generators could all have a diode on their + end. Connected in parallel with an inductor. The inductor would feed into a cheap Lithium Ion battery charging chip. The battery would then power a switch-operated Qi charger embedded in my galaxy S7 case.

Pros: 1. The three generators are thin, stackable, and quirky fun ways to create power. 2. I'll have an extended battery that I can use to keep my phone running longer. 3. The backup battery can charge greenly anywhere.

Cons: 1. None of the methods are reliable ways to harvest a continual power supply of sufficient mojo to charge a 3000 mAh battery. The PV alone would need about 30 sunny days. The Piezo might be more powerful, but only just. 2. Because of the variable voltage on each generator (or almost digital-like for the piezo) I'm out of my depth. I'm used to working with solid, reliable, DC power sources (and one at a time, like our Arduino.)

So how would I put this together? Do I need a rectifier in there? I have an Arduino Uno, and I feel like I might be able to use that somehow?

Everyone is familiar with the issue of cellphone batteries. They are huge and stupid.

I was not aware of this

The largest two components on a phone are the screen and battery.

It is stupid that a battery the size of a deck of cards only holds 10000mAh. It is just silly, when I can pack in three different power generators in that same size....why not try?

The largest two components on a phone are the screen and battery.

You forgot the chassis.

It is stupid that a battery the size of a deck of cards only holds 10000mAh

You don’t spell “amazing” “s-t-u-p-i-d”.

Don’t think “mAh”, think “Jm-3

It is definitely stupid. The phone has an octa-core processor using the 14nm process. Its a darn shame that we can get a transistor down to 14nm (or smaller in some universities,) but a battery is just as big and bulky as ever.

Either way, if I can figure out the right combination of energy leeches, I could have a pretty fun little phone case that will not only charge my phone, but can lend power to any other Qi enabled device.

Imagine the capability to power share. Especially when you can replenish your battery after only a single month of sunny days. Maybe even less if you shake the phone vigorously, or put it in a frying pan!

I do some martial arts and a LOT of walking. Using a piezo, I bet I could charge a 3000 “Jm-3” battery twice over with all my walking and kicking.

but a battery is just as big and bulky as ever

You're quite young, I'm guessing. Energy densities of batteries have made amazing progress in the last few years.

I do some martial arts and a LOT of walking.

.. . . but gave up physics and biology?

Using a piezo, I bet I could charge a 3000 "Jm-3" battery twice over with all my walking and kicking.

Useful volts from a piezo, but no amps.

I'm not all that young. I remember mixing citric acid in clay pots in Persia, and using a conducting plate to make a primitive battery. Long before your time.

I never had any physics or biology to "give up." I never studied either.

I know that some of the output voltage for the piezo on my shopping list are rated at 5volts. As you wisely pointed out, current is somewhat lacking.

That is why I'm hoping a rectifier in the circuit with an inductor can get me the voltage required for a nice steady (comparably) stream of 5 volts or so to charge up the battery. I'm aware it will take a very long time to charge. And it is inefficient to waste all my precious harvested energy on a qi wireless charger.

But I don't do this for efficiency, I do it for fun. Besides, the angrier I get at my phone, the more likely I am to throw it, punch it, light it on fire, etc. Why not use those sources to power the device?

Big piezo sensor in the flexible phone. Now instead of "butt dialing" you are "butt charging". Sounds good to me! :)

I remember mixing citric acid in clay pots in Persia, and using a conducting plate to make a primitive battery. Long before your time.

That was back around 250 BC to 250 AD, so yes, long before that young whippersnapper AWOL was even a gleam in his great great great grandfather's eye.

Since you seem to be pretty patient, you might just hang on for a couple of years, when the new Zn-Mn battery technology comes on line, and by that time cell phones will be built right into people's skulls anyway.

A peltier has low efficiency and requires a temperature difference between the sides. I would like to see how you intend to get a heat source and cooling in the same space as the battery let alone including the other power sources.

Weedpharma