Cell phone vibrating motor "jumps" but won't run

It has two pins so I figured the driver IC is in the package, but when I apply DC power the rotor moves a tiny bit (like, for a number of milliseconds) but then stops. I've tried between 1.5v and 5v. I don't think current is an issue. Have I fried it somehow? It's never gotten warm or anything, it just stops.

Do I need a motor controller?

What do you mean by "applied DC power"? From what?

For sure there is no driver in that package. It might expect low voltage AC power of a certain frequency.

It does not look like a motor - more like a vibrator.

...R

I used AA batteries and a 2a wall power supply. If it expects AC at a cretain frequency - a motor controller would operate it, right?

Arent all vibrators motors?

Thanks guys, I was just hoping I could make it work without waiting on parts.

Arent all vibrators motors?

No.

Please go into detail then, I'm interested :). I can't come up with the search terms to find other types of vibrators. Anyway, I do believe the one I have is a vibrating motor.

http://www.chicagovibrator.com/VibratorTypes.aspx

winged:
It has two pins so I figured the driver IC is in the package

Complete non-sequitor. Motors have two pins.

I've read it in a few places, and many of the motors I've salvaged have more than two leads.

It is usually possible to tell whether there is an integrated driver by the number of connecting leads. Brushless vibration motors that have 3 leads require an external driver, whilst those with 2 leads require simple DC power (+ and -, rated voltage) to drive the internal driver IC.

http://www.precisionmicrodrives.com/application-notes-technical-guides/application-bulletins/ab-018-driving-brushless-vibration-motors

Anyway, I do believe the one I have is a vibrating motor.

Perhaps you do, but if you connected the power supply backwards or supplied the wrong voltage, you may have destroyed it.

winged:
I do believe the one I have is a vibrating motor.

It should be simple to find out - does part of it rotate?

...R

I have also buy a motor but do not know how to drive it. The specification show 3V voltage for driving. But it can't work.

winged:
Do I need a motor controller?

Not according to this guy....

click here

Maybe a good idea to have spares ..... a few spares, for testing. Since sometimes you just never know if it is the item that has failed, or something else hasn't been done properly.

jremington:
Chicago Vibrator Products | Solving Material Flow Issues

I'm not sure I should click that when at work!!