Cellular Connections, is it Possible?

Hi All,

I am relatively new to the Arduino, however I do own a Duelimove, (spelling?) and an a LCD screen for it. I had an idea for using a cell module in conjunction with it to connect to my PC so I could control external hardware remotely. Is what I wanna do possible? If so, what else do I need and can anyone with experience give me insight?

take a look at this video:

Thank you for the video, I hadn't come across the drone cell in my searches....I guess this is a dumb question, but if I connect my device to the internet, dontt I still need to have a program on my computer to allow me access to it? Also, it is possible to use the usb port on the arduino to connect a usb device?

it is possible to use the usb port on the arduino to connect a usb device?

No this is a client USB interface not a host.

I am relatively new to the Arduino, however I do own a Duelimove, (spelling?) and an a LCD screen for it. I had an idea for using a cell module in conjunction with it to connect to my PC so I could control external hardware remotely. Is what I wanna do possible? If so, what else do I need and can anyone with experience give me insight?

it is not clear as to what you want to to you'll need to tell us more about what you want to do

What I am trying to do is hook up gauges ( thermistors, strain gauges, etc.) in a remote area so that I can monitor them at any time. It is not possible to have a whole PC or laptop there, so I thought of using a micro controller and a cell module to link it up. As of right now, I can control the gauges via LABView graphical programming language. One of the issues I cant figure out is how I would actually control this whole unit, I would need to have my arduino unit linked to a server?

I would need to have my arduino unit linked to a server?

Either that or make the arduino a server.
Or you can add a cell phone shield:-

how far is the remote place ?

Well ideally anywhere, hence the cell module

Sorry for that short response. Basically I want to be able to get readings from anywhere, since I travel a lot.

no offense i just asked i have seen some Xbee modules having a range of a mile

I have seen the XBee, but it didnt have the range I wanted. Id like to use the cell module to do it over the internet, I just didnt know how the whole interfacing worked.

Anyone have any advice on how I can accomplish this?

As was already linked to above, you could try something like this : http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9607 They have a sample sketch also on that page. Looks like you plug in a sim card and away you go. :wink:

Essentially you could just text yourself the values you want.

Do you need something more than this?

Maybe I didnt give enough info.... basically I have a wireless gauge system, and since it runs on batteries I need it to be in hibernation most of them time, but i want to be able to turn it on and monitor the readings and then shut it off. Since I am not always local, I want to be able to turn them in MA , when I am around the country. Someone did mention using the arduino as a server, but i didn't think it was capable of that. I am not much of a computer programmer, but I do know how to use the graphical programming language called labview. Im not sure if anyone on here is familiar with it, but it is used to taking readings from sensor and manipulating the data. So what I wanna do is use my arduino and cell module, coupled with my wireless gauge packs, and transfer the data to my laptop so I can alter it in labview