Cellular Shield and Uno

Hey everybody, so im looking for a shield that will allow my arduino to receive a text message from my phone. After doing some reading i think the cellular shield with SM5100B is the one i want, but im just unsure on some details if somebody could give me some answers to a couple of questions i have that would be great. 1. it seems like a sim card is necessary, why is that ? 2. this may seem dumb, how do we know(or find out) the "phone number" of our arduino in order to text it?

thanks ahead of time for the help!

1. it seems like a sim card is necessary, why is that ?

The shield emulates a cell phone. The SIM card contains the data necessary for it to do that, just like your regular cell phone needs one.

1. this may seem dumb, how do we know(or find out) the “phone number” of our arduino in order to text it?

It’s on the SIM card. When you get one, you’ll be told the phone number.

The SIM card also allows someone to charge you for using the network.

Alright thanks. So if i buy a sim card from my current cell phone provider, will i have to get an additional plan for the sim card in order to send my arduino texts? Because basically my arduino will now be acting like a cell phone?

Alright thanks. So if i buy a sim card from my current cell phone provider, will i have to get an additional plan for the sim card in order to send my arduino texts? Because basically my arduino will now be acting like a cell phone?

There are several things you need to think about before you purchase the SIM card, most importantly is how many text messages you plan on sending. If you plan on sending a lot of text messages then you might be better off adding an additional line to an existing cell plan. If you're only planning on sending text message every once in a while you might be better off using a prepaid SIM card.

My suggestion is estimate your monthly text message usage and then talk to several cellular providers and see who offers the best deals.

My suggestion is estimate your monthly text message usage and then talk to several cellular providers and see who offers the best deals.

Good advice, because, yes, your Arduino will look, to the cell provider, just like another cell phone.

Hi,

I am working on a similar project. I found that Rogers had a plan that worked for me. I bought a SIM card from them for $9.99 plus tax. I then bought a $10 "Pay as you go" voucher. For the plan, I got a "Pay by the Minute" plan. To that, I added a Text Messaging Pack.

I chose the "Pay by the Minute" plan because it doesn't have a set monthly fee. It just charges $0.40 a minute for phone calls. Since I'm not making any voice phone calls, I don't pay any $0.40 charges. What I do pay for is the text messaging.

With the Text Messaging Pack, they have some flat rates for texts. For $5, you get 250 texts. For $10, you get 2500 texts. The numbers are for 30 days. The only down side is that if you don't use up all you texts in that 30 days they don't carry over. You can get a plan where you pay $100 and you don't have that problem of the 30 day carry-over. Each month, they just automatically draw from the $100 for your $5 or $10. So you could get, for example 2500 texts a month for 10 months for your $100. I hope that makes sense.

So for my project, I decided to go with the $10 voucher with 2500 texts for 30 days while I am testing. If all goes well, I will go for the $100 plan for the long term.

I hope that helps.

:)

Hi,

I forgot to add, when you buy your SIM card, when they activate it, they assign the SIM card a phone number. That is the phone number you use.

:)

What options are there for cellular shields? I see there is the Sparkfun shield, anything else?