CH340g UNO issue

Recently I got in my package containing Arduino clone from a reputable Chinese seller, which uses the CH340g. I installed the official drivers (last updated Feb 2015), installed Arduino IDE, but the Arduino will still not pop up in Device Manager.

Lights "L" and "ON" light up once connected to the USB port. When uploading the blink file I get the error:

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM5": The system cannot find the file specified.

COM5 is the only port I can select in the IDE, in Device Manager this is defined as "Standard Serial over Bluetooth link".

I tried the same process on another computer and I had the same results.

I understand my UNO clone may be defective, and have no problem with buying another one, but how can I ensure this is a one off issue ith my UNO, and not a general compatibility issue with my computer and a functional uno?

Thanks!

You need the ch340g drivers, not the official uno drivers. The official board uses an atmega 16u2 programmed to be a usb to serial converter, your board uses ch340g. Google will find the driversm -it's a file called ch341ser or something like that, and didn't really inspire confidence (you'll see what I mean)- but it works great

Sorry for the lack of clarity, I meant I had downlaoded the latest WCH drivers, the file you mentioned. Unfortunately this hasn't worked!

Have a go at using USBDeview to see if the device is being detected by the computer. From there you could then know if the device has the wrong drivers installed or not and correct it if necessary.

Connecting the Arduino after reinstalling the WCH drivers doesn't have the Arduino showing up on USBDeview. Does this mean it's a defective one?

Aprod:
Connecting the Arduino after reinstalling the WCH drivers doesn't have the Arduino showing up on USBDeview. Does this mean it's a defective one?

I would think so... The fact that it does not show up in the program shows that it is no being recognized by the computer at all. I would recommend you return it to the merchant if possible. However if that is not possible or you wish to keep it, you could still try to upload sketches by using another USB-Serial device.

I'll try returning the device and ordering a new one, I'll update this ASAP.