Chain oiler

Hello,

I have an arduino nano, a small 6V peristaltic pump, and a 3D printer. I want to build a device to oil my motorcycle chain. There is a device that exist, the cameleon oiler, but it is too much expensive and I want a DIY. So basically, I want to plug the arduino nano on the 12V rear light so it will run only when engine is running. The pump will have to rotate every x time or run at x speed to deliver 1 drop oil every 10-15sec (cameleon oiler is set to 8 sec but it may be too much).

I'm thinking about this scheme, is it correct?

Thanks

I would add some sort of distance sensor. oil 10 drops per kilometer. with timing only, you could leave a puddle

frbed88:
I'm thinking about this scheme, is it correct?

No: you can't run a pump directly from your Arduino. Get a driver in between. Also your pump may or may not work well at 5V, as it's rated 6V.

Also connecting your Arduino directly to a dirty 12V automotive supply is not a good idea. Get a proper regulator in between - such as an car USB adaptor - that can also handle the inevitable voltage spikes.

Do some serious experimenting with your pump. You may find it really hard to reliably dose exactly one drop of oil every so much time.

When I was a lad I used to take my chain off and put it on my Mum's cooker in a tub of Duckham's stuff that looked like Dubbin.

Auto lube systems have been around for years, and they all share the same problem. lubing to much, on a bike it's a mess, on a machine tool it's tramp oil in the base of the machine which needs to be cleaned out before it gets into the coolant tank. The other down side is that the CNC machine tool alarms out when the oil tank is low. Stopping production. Most modern cnc's are lubing while simply being powered up. And that's not what you want.

The early lube systems were better, hand pump or plunger, to be pressed pulled when you want to lube slides/rails/ballscrews.

The other issue with auto lubing a fast rotating chain is that most of the lube is flung off the chain without doing any lubing what so ever.

If you go down the electric pump rout I would say to have a mode as you want above, but much less oil. And a second mode where you can press a button while the bike is not running to release more oil while you roll it forward by the length of the chain. Lube when you get off and the oil will stay on the chain and be able to penetrate.

darthclueless:
The other issue with auto lubing a fast rotating chain is that most of the lube is flung off the chain without doing any lubing what so ever.

This may be negated by lubricating from the inside (so dripping it on the lower chain, so to say). Then to be flung out it has to go through the chain, and with a little luck the sprocket helps stopping that and helps distributing the oil over the chain.

wvmarle:
This may be negated by lubricating from the inside (so dripping it on the lower chain, so to say). Then to be flung out it has to go through the chain, and with a little luck the sprocket helps stopping that and helps distributing the oil over the chain.

Negated no, it's a chain with lots and lots of through holes. most of the oil Will not be used to lube. most will be flung off coz it's an oil. look at aerosol lubes for bike chains, most are a sticky wax that resist being flung off. And you a meant to spray it on the chain only not all over the inside of casings.

The other downside of lubing chains like this is the build up of oil and road grit, which is a very good way to make a grinding paste. It will be stuck all over the inside of the rear chain runner. case saver and front sprocket cover. which sooner or later if left not cleaned away will fall into contact with the moving parts that the auto oil system was intended to save!?!?

Having ridden off and on road bikes for 35 years I can tell you that chain/sprockets/lubes is a part of essential bike maintenance, which have no real short cuts. the chain will take much less lube to penetrate the rollers if it's static. If you lube it at speed it will take much more lube, and that lube will need to be cleaned off.

I used to ride an XR400 every day all year round to work, thats a 1000km/1500km engine oil and filter change jobby. I used to have a aerosol of lube at home and one at work. use a piece of paper behind the chain to prevent overspray. and oil the chain as needed.

DC

Having posted and gone back over 30 years of the failings of auto lube systems in both machine tools. retro fit style here http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Dual-Digital-Display-Automatic-Electric-Lubrication-Pump-Oiler-Pump-1-8L-110V-/162628154568

And a life long love of motorbikes, I do think that Arduino could do something very clever. It's beyond me or my interest as I've retired from Green Laning. What I said above is true though.

1. to much oil = problem
  2. not enough oil = problem

A chain is best oiled with a small/correct amount and left to penetrate the chains rollers.

What Arduino could do would be to oil one lap of the chain when the bike is being rolled forward, and then stop. If you could mount a sensor on the taco cable that would give you the speed of rotation and distance. You can program in the length of chain.

The same system could auto lube when riding, but I'd say a lot less than you think. And if linked to the taco it wont be counting sitting at junctions.

The OP needs to get the forums clever guyz on the case, if there was system that worked like this when I did ride bikes I would have bought it for sure.

DC

Thanks @wvmarle, I will check for 12v to usb driver that will power my arduino. Why I want to use peristaltic pump is that they are made to deliver small precise volume. I will try powering it with arduino and see but if it do no spin, I will use a small voltage converter. And if it couldnt make it I will print a peristaltic pump with a stepper driver motor that will be even more precise.

If you look well at the cameleon oiler website, they use a clear tube as resevoir so you cant miss lubrification, and moreover they say it is lubrificating less the chain but more frequenly so overall your chain get better lifespan. Oil used in this device is SAE90, which is heavy sticky gear oil. In fact they use a small solenoid valve that open to deliver small amount of oil.

putting bits together,...
there should be an easy way to pick out either tire or chain rotation.
rpm of rear wheel, or chain.
time out every couple hours?
when the bike is slowing, dispense oil long the chain for two rotations?

option #2 use high molybdenum and synthetic oil, extend chain life and lube life.
option #3, shaft drive.

#3 is my choice. much quieter on the road

dave-in-nj:
option #3, shaft drive.

#3 is my choice. much quieter on the road

But not exactly the kind of solution OP can 3D print in his garage :wink:

If there is a way to make this waterproof: ?Guide?How to Make a Wheel Speed Detector by Using a Light Sensor - Sensors - Arduino Forum it should be easy to determine the wheel rotation but maybe not necessary. Yes, the shaft would be a nice option but the goal is to be cheap as possible.

Not a problem in my day - on old Brit bikes you just pointed the engine breather pipe at the chain.

And mopped up the puddles in the morning.

The frame didn't rust....

Allan

Velocette enthusiast.

And as for your peristaltic pump chain oiler - wouldn't a 555 be good enough? - after all, oil is cheap, and a little drip every mile or so won't do too much harm....