Change Arduino IDE serial monitor comport?

Is there any way to change the Arduino IDE serial monitor comport from what appears to be com10? It appears to be set on 10 without a way to change to another number.

To change which COM Port you're viewing, change the selected COM port from the Tools->Serial Port menu.

Is there any way to change the Arduino IDE serial monitor comport from what appears to be com10? It appears to be set on 10 without a way to change to another number.

The Arduino IDE only reports (via Tools->Serial Port menu ) the number of comm ports (and port names) as the PC’s operating system has available. If you are only given one choice then the Arduino board must be the only serial device pulled into and active on the PC.

Lefty

That was the ticket! I changed the arduino comport in device manager, but didn’t know where to select the comport in the IDE.

Use the Tools menu, and select the appropriately named menu item. I’ll be you can figure out which one to use to select the Serial Port.

why do you need to change the comm port?

why do you need to change the comm port?

The arduino was on com10, and I wanted to test sending data to it using a batch file, which only works with com0-9

The arduino was on com10, and I wanted to test sending data to it using a batch file, which only works with com0-9

If it's not terribly complicated, could you explain how to send data with a batch file? Also, could you provide an example of where it would be useful or perhaps what your application is?

Below are two batch file examples. The top batch file sends "180" to the com5 port along with cr/lf (a batch file will always send the cr/lf at the end of a line). The mode line will temporarly set com5 to the listed parameters for the transmission. If the com port is already set to the desired settings, then the mode line is not needed. I use the bottom batch file with web servo control setups. The file is put in the apache cgi-bin folder. A "get" (query_string) request is sent from a web page to the batch file. Apache runs the batch file, the batch file gets the query_string environmental variable containing the data set by apache, then sends it out the com port to the servo controller. It has some limitations, but the principal is simple and useful for my needs.

@echo off
mode com5:9600,N,8,1 >nul
echo 180 >com5
@echo off
echo status: 204
echo.
echo.
::mode com8:9600,N,8,1 >nul
echo %QUERY_STRING% >com8

@zoomcat

This is very neat. Thank you for that knowledge. I will have to play with this idea. I have no knowledge, really, of internet mumbo jumbo so the apache stuff is a bit out of my league.

I did, however, make a neat project that sets my alarm clock from text messages sent from my phone. The way I did it is pretty silly, actually.

I made a Processing sketch that constantly checks the size of the most recent "log" file(for convos specifically from my phone number). If the size changed(measured in lines of strings) it would take that number and use it to read the most recent message. It then forks out the message to my arduino, which turns it into button presses on my alarm clock thus setting the clock. And it sets the clock in a VERY short time.

It was the simplest solution I could see--short of writing an add-on(or whatever(which BTW I don't know how to do)) for pidgin(instant messenger thing). It's also inherently secure. I had a blast making it. Now I've spent ten times longer than it took me to get to that point just to make it also take inputs from a keypad. I know there's a library for that, but I love reinventing wheels.

Here's a crappy vid of it in action. I think you need to watch it in full screen to see the numbers I'm typing.

internet mumbo jumbo so the apache stuff is a bit out of my league.

Apache is very simple. It has an installer and when askes if you want it to run as a service, say yes. The ini file for setting the port and such is just a text file. Runs hidden and no load on the cpu useage. I have it on all of my computers.