change the name of arduino pro micro shown in the "Devices and printers"

Dear all,
I am programming an arduino pro micro and I would like to change the name of ARDUINO PRO MICRO shown in the "Device and Printers" on w10.

I would like please to know how can I change the name of that device shown in "Device and Printers" on w10? I would like to change this name to a specific name, like "PLAY" name.

I have consulted the methods on the "change the name of arduino nano shown in the "Devices and printers" - Microcontrollers - Arduino Forum" , however,it is a pity that these methods didn't solve my problem。

In addition, I hope that when my board connects to other computers, the name displayed is still the one I defined, not the original “Arduino micro”。

I will be very grateful to find a solution to how to change the name of the Arduino Pro Micro in the "Device and printers" in in hte boot of the arduino.

Thank you for your help and sorry about my English。

Cheers,

Yes, there is a way to do that. Take a look here. This shows how to change a device's name in the device manager. Just do all the steps correctly.

..Arnav

hi,
Thank you for your answer.
I have tried the method in the link you gave, but unfortunately, it didn't achieve the effect I wanted.
I want to display my custom name in my device and printer, right where I draw the red line in the follow picture.
Besides, if I connect two same devices, I want them to be able to sort automatically.
Thank you for your help again and sorry about my English。

I’m looking forward to your relpy
Best wishes!

I think you'll need to build a modified bootloader and burn it to the Pro Micro. You'll find the original sources for the Sparkfun version of the Caterina bootloader here, and it is likely just a matter of changing the name in Descriptors.c
If it is not a Sparkfun Pro Micro you are using but just an official Arduino Micro, then you'll find the original bootloader sources here.

Actually, for the 32u4/Micro there is a much easier way - you simply have to edit your boards.txt file and then re-upload your sketch.

So edit as follows:

#micro.build.usb_product="Arduino Micro"
micro.build.usb_product="My 32u4 Device"

Re-upload sketch and test:

1 Like

Thank you very much!

According to the method you provided, I modified my boards.txt , which achieves the effect I want. What do you think about the problem that two devices with the same name display the serial number after connecting to the computer at the same time?

Thank you very much for your help and sorry about my English。
Best wishes!

spring12138:
What do you think about the problem that two devices with the same name display the serial number after connecting to the computer at the same time?

If the device presents the correct name to the OS but the OS chooses not to use it, then you have IMO two options:

• Ignore it, since the OS is doing what it feels is correct under the circumstances. Maybe a later version of the OS will change the behaviour if there is a need.

• Try adding a serial number suffix to the device name for each device you burn your sketch to, ie. TemperatureMonitor_AAA, TemperatureMonitor_AAB, etc. Looks a bit ugly though and, if the OS changes the way it displays the names, could become superfluous.

Your English is fine BTW, no need to fret.

Thank you very much for your reply and your encouragement. :D :D :D