Changed behaviour for Moved Threads

I notice now that when a Thread is moved from one section to another it disappears completely from the original section. It used to appear there as a locked Thread with MOVED added to the title. That made it very easy to follow it to its new location.

Now, when I look at the index page I can see a reference to the move like this
ForumScreenshot.png
and I can click that reference. But if I refresh the index page that link will disappear when a newer Post is made in that section.

I’m thinking particularly of a newbie who remembers where s/he posted her/his question but at a later stage is unable to find it because it was moved but no trace of the move remains in the original location. It will appear that it was just deleted.

Has anyone else noticed this change.

…R

I have, and i like it.
The forums are polluted with all those moved: posts.
I am assuming that an e-mail will be dispatched to the OP, informing them their post has been moved, and accompanied by a link to the thread's new location.
If that's not the case, i see your point.

I do know that the 'new' forum software doesn't handle notifications and such as it should be, but if it does this thing correctly, i like it the way it is right now.

MAS3:
I am assuming that an e-mail will be dispatched to the OP, informing them their post has been moved, and accompanied by a link to the thread's new location.

That would not be acceptable to me. The last thing I want is emails from Forums.

...R

MAS3:
The forums are polluted with all those moved: posts.

They are supposed to be automatically purged after some time.

...a quick check reveals...

And, as long as the moderator sets the value, they are.

Robin2:
I notice now that when a Thread is moved from one section to another it disappears completely from the original section.
Has anyone else noticed this change.

I have.

The messages are still created they are just not displayed.

I cannot find any configuration settings for the behaviour. My guess is that the forum source code was modified. My only suggestion is to search for an existing issue that resulted in the change / add a new issue.

Yup. They are out of our reach.

I had assumed that right from the start.

I started this issue to see if people agree with me that the change is unhelpful. If that is the general feeling then the development team can be asked to correct the situation.

So far the vote is 50:50 with @MAS3 preferring the new system.

...R

One vote against. When I report a thread as being in the wrong group, it is useful to see the message showing that the thread was moved and where it ultimately ended up - I only suggest where I think it should go and it is useful to see whether the mod moved it to a more appropriate forum.

The other thing about this is a minor annoyance. The only time I see that a thread has been moved is if the notification message is also the first message in a group on the main page. Then when I go to that group, it often turns out that the MOVED message was the only new one in that group and there's nothing there (all other threads have been read).

Pete

This Thread provides a perfect example of the problem caused by the change I am complaining about.

...R

What I didn't like about the old process was that clicking on a MOVED message title, to see where it ended up, and what OP thought of the move (if anything), did not mark the thread as read.

So, I'd have to read everything in the section, and then click the Mark All Read icon, to stop the MOVED threads from showing as NEW.

I do not like the change.