Changing Modes

Hi

I have a Beacon Bar that has 5 modes.They are:- 1. Fast rotate 2. Slow Rotate 3. flash mode 1 4. flash mode 2 5. Off.

There are 3 leads going into the Bar, Power, Ground and Control. The instructions state that the modes can be controlled via RC.

Can I achieve the same result with an Arduino?

Assuming the RC unit will send a signal via the control cable (I have no experience of RC) to change the mode of the beacon bar, could an Arudino do the same thing hard wired.

I have got the beacon working via the Arduino (power to 5v, Ground to Grd) I have attached the control lead to socket 11 (with the PWM curly bit). Turning this socket on and off (HIGH and LOW) turns the Beacon off when LOW but does not change the mode.

Any advice would be welcome. Thank you.

Please post a link to the unit that you are using.

I would be particularly wary about powering it from the Arduino 5V pin if that is what you are doing

Apologies, I am using a UNO.

It was the Beacon Bar (whatever that is) that I was more interested in

Sorry the Astec Model. I could use a ubec between the power and the beacon bar, the unit is rated at max 5v

I am none the wiser

Please provide a link to the unit

https://astecmodels.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=362&ceid=d9f633b022f0040ca04993d69767f750

A type of bar sits on the roof of emergency vehicles, rotating beacons.

B9K9UK:
A type of bar sits on the roof of emergency vehicles, rotating beacons.

Up to this point I thought we were talking about something to provide decorative lighting in a pub or night club (no, I'm not joking).

You need to find out what the control signal is. I don't doubt it can be simulated but if you don't know what it is it's difficult to help. Contact the company, their phone number is there, and ask them.

The Astec web page is very short on details about the unit. How is it powered, for instance ?

As an experiment connect the power wire and GND to 4 AA batteries in series and leave the control wire unconnected. The video has a quick mention of needing to take the control wire to GND to change mode. Try that but do not connect it to the Arduino.

PerryBebbington:
Up to this point I thought we were talking about something to provide decorative lighting in a pub or night club (no, I'm not joking).

No, its actually a model crane that wold have beacons on every corner.

You need to find out what the control signal is. I don't doubt it can be simulated but if you don't know what it is it's difficult to help. Contact the company, their phone number is there, and ask them.
[/quote]

Have sent an email.

Thank you for your suggestion.

UKHeliBob:
The Astec web page is very short on details about the unit. How is it powered, for instance ?

Yes I found that.

UKHeliBob:
As an experiment connect the power wire and GND to 4 AA batteries in series and leave the control wire unconnected. The video has a quick mention of needing to take the control wire to GND to change mode. Try that but do not connect it to the Arduino.

Nope, nothing.

If you work it manually there is a button with a red and black wire attached. Pressing this changes the mode. What I don't what to chance is if it just shorts the system to make the change I could possibly do some damage to the Arduino. That is why I attempted to send a signal via the control wire attached to the Arduino.

Right I’ve got it! Some fine tuning needed but I proved the theory.

delay(w2);
Serial.println(" Pwr is on");
digitalWrite(Pwr,HIGH);
delay(w1);
delay(w1);
Serial.print("Ctrl is on - ");
digitalWrite(Pwr,LOW);
digitalWrite(Ctrl,HIGH);
Serial.print(“Ctrl is off”);
digitalWrite(Ctrl,LOW);
digitalWrite(Pwr,HIGH);

It is not consistent but it does make the change.

Pwr is Pin11
Grd is Grd
Ctrl is Pin 8

Many thanks for the input and assistance.

The logical thing would be for the unit to be powered at all times and for the control pin to be connected to the power pin or GND to signal that a change of mode is required. Indeed, in the video on the site mention is made of taking the control to GND to change mode and the fact that the pushbutton on the unit has only 2 wires supports that.