Changing room shop theft security

Hi everyone

I work in a retail park and one of the biggest problems we have is thefts from the changing rooms which I have thought of an idea which is on the market but I am not very good with coding at all and my idea is to create a portable handheld device which using RFID tags to enter the number of pieces of clothing entered into each changing room so it can be monitored more thoroughly than at current with people forgetting the amount left and see if it has any impact on shoplifting activities. The device needs to be portable so that people can roam freely and put things back but ultimatly keeping it secure.

If anyone does have any ideas on how to approach this and also be able to support me in the coding of this kind of device that would be excellent.

So the handheld device would be for the security person? Like a check-in/check-out device? That would work to a point, the person would have to be very consistent in capturing the number of items going in and out..
It would be cool to have a way to enter the count of items prior to entering the room, and having sensors within the room keeping count, so in other words you go to the security person, they enter 5 items, you go into the room, try on everything and decide you only want 2 of the 5, so based on that when you leave, the security person can see that there are still 3 items in the room and you are walking out with 2. NOW with that said, whos to stop the person from removing the security tag that you are monitoring and leaving it behind and still showing that 3 items are in the room except that one is hidden on them, and walking out with 2.

Or did i just go down a different road than what you were thinking?

Yes, it's doable, but why not get them to leave some photo ID when they go in?
No batteries, no runners, and a bulldog clip to hold it in the drawer with the item tickets.

AFAIK you cannot accuse a person of stealing anything while they are in the store - only when the leave it and are found to have stolen goods in their possession.

IIRC Marks and Spencer used to have a system where they gave you a big plastic board with a number on it representing the number if garments you want to try. On leaving the changing area you had to give back the board and (presumably) account for all the garments. They don't seem to apply any control now so maybe it was not cost effective.

I find it hard to imagine that any more complex system would be more effective.

...R

Robin2:
AFAIK you cannot accuse a person of stealing anything while they are in the store - only when the leave it and are found to have stolen goods in their possession.

In most ( if not all) states in the US, you can be charged as soon as you try to conceal an item. For example you walk into a store and slip something into your pocket, that's larceny or some word.

You can also catch a charge for being somewhere that you're not able to just browse, like a restaurant or hotel or bar, and simply not having any money in your pocket.

Robin2 this is literally what I would like to create like they do in primark and Marks and Spencer but rather than a card with a number on it, use RFID. basically a digital system for this older system

96rc90:
basically a digital system for this older system

How would that be sufficiently better than the old simple system to justify the extra cost?

Won't you just alienate the honest customers?

...R