Changing the Fuse settings to a 1284p using an Arduino Uno as ISP

HI, All.

I have a Sanguino(lolu) board that has a atmega1284p chip that needs its fuse settings changed. I don't want to but a programmers so, I opted to use the Arduino Uno. Unfortunately that isn;t working out.

I loaded the Arduino ISP sketch onto it. (From version 0023) and tried changing the fuses using avrdude with the following command: -P com 8 -c arduino -p m1284p -U lfuse:r:hex_file.txt -v -F.

Im only trying to read the existing fuse settings, and I used -F b/c it said it gave the wrong signature check which was some random gibbersih and to use -F to skip it. It basically said that all the fuse settings were set at 0.

Then after doing some more research saw that 1. the arduino needed a cap connecting reset to ground so that it wouldn't reset, and 2. that the baud rate need to be 19200.

So I changed those things in avrdude it gave me an error that said the device signature was 0x000000 and I got an stk 500 error saying protocol error, exp=0x14, resp=0x51.

Thanks in advance.

Try Nick Gammon's fuse program: http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11653

I loaded the Arduino ISP sketch onto it. (From version 0023) and tried changing the fuses using avrdude with the following command: -P com 8 -c arduino -p m1284p -U lfuse:r:hex_file.txt -v -F.

try this change replace arduino by stk500v1: -P com 8 -c arduino stk500v1 -p m1284p -U lfuse:r:hex_file.txt -v -F

Tried both suggestions. Got nothing.