Changing the Subtitle of a Thread - ALLOWED or NOT?

When adding a post to a thread you can change the title of your own text in the post.

:) :( :confused: Is this allowed or not?

A couple of days ago my account was on hold for 5 days for doing this.

This was initiated by one of the members of the Arduino board.

I did this before (changing subtitles) without getting any problems.

Dear Arduino managers, please make a statement, that is a guidance for ALL members in the Arduino forum.

THANKS

This was initiated by one of the members of the Arduino board.

No it was not, it was instituted by an unpaid volunteer moderator who has no connection whatsoever with Arduino AG, who asked you twice to not keep changing the titles of threads you were [u]responding[/u] to. I even used the word "please".

Can you think of a good reason to change a thread title? No; Me neither. ;) :D ;D 8) :fearful: :-\ :slightly_frowning_face: :smiling_imp: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :grinning: :astonished:

That is what I mean

When I respond, a new subtitle for my own text can be very helpful to see what my text will be about ....

When I give my own text a new subtilte, I AM NOT CHANGING THE TITLE OF THE THREAD !!!!!!

All I do is giving my own text a TITLE.

That is what I mean

Which particular "that" in this context?

When I respond, a new subtitle for my own text can be very helpful to see what my text will be about ....

Who cares what your text is about? It's not [u]your[/u] thread

Please stop SHOUTING (BTW the ban was little more than a day)

my own text can be very helpful

Like the text that said Mars has no atmosphere, and that NASA are stupid because they've been using hot-wire anemometers for fifty years, because according to you, hot-wire anemometers don't work? Yeah, right.

I don't like it because when I'm reading the reply via email I can't tell which thread it's from so it loses context. If you want to give a title to your reply just do that at the beginning of the text, leave the subject alone.

I didn't like it. This forum is very busy, in my opinion it doesn't benefit from arbitrary changes to the organizational aspects.

AWOL: Which particular ....

Maybe this little dispute could be sorted out by adding a few words to the "How to Use the Forum" advising people NOT to change the titles of Replies?

Then there would be a rule to refer to.

...R

That would probably have the same effect as a sign that says, "Wet Paint. Do not Touch."

TKall:
That would probably have the same effect as a sign that says, “Wet Paint. Do not Touch.”

Where’s the damned “like” button when you need it?

We've definitely seen that people don't read the rules but I still think it's important to have them clearly defined so there's an official standard instead of a my opinion versus yours sort of thing.

I think the "How to use this forum" post should specifically state "These are the rules and if you break them your account may be suspended or banned". Right now no cross-posting is listed as a "guideline".

TKall: That would probably have the same effect as a sign that says, "Wet Paint. Do not Touch."

You miss the point. My idea was not to ensure that people would read it and know not to mess up the title. But rather to be able to say after he got paint on his new jeans "DUMBO, YOU DIDN'T READ THE INSTRUCTIONS, DID YOU?"

@pert has expressed it much more sensibly in Reply #9

...R

I've put in a requisition for some stone tablets.