Changing the value of a potentiometers.

Hi,

This is a general electronics question. I need a 1 K ohm slide potentiometer, but the for some reason 99% of slide potentiometers seem to have a value of 10K.

So, my question is, is there anyway of converting a 10k pot to a 1k pot and maintain it's linearity?

I'm going to use it as variable resistor, so I'm only interested in the resistance between one end and the middle slider. I know I could just add a parallel resistor of, say, 1k2 between one end of the pot and the slider. This would make the overall resistance of the pot about 1k, but (and this is important) I'd loose the linearity that I need.

Cheers

This is a general electronics question. I need a 1 K ohm slide potentiometer, but the for some reason 99% of slide potentiometers seem to have a value of 10K.

99% of uses of slide pots are as a variable potential divider where the actual resistance doesn't matter that much.

You can't directly reduce the resistance and maintain linearity. You could, however (depending on voltage levels) go for a digital approach - take the 10K pot and use it as an ADC input to a microcontroller, then use that to control a 1K linear digital pot...