Changing variable via bluetooth during loop

G'Day Guys,

I'm very new to this so hope I'm putting this in the right section. I have a small project that is currently operating at its basic level. A "transmitter" and "receiver" Arduino Uno. A momentary button press on the transmitter starts the delay timer on the receiver; once the delay is complete, a relay fires. I have a number of receivers and a single transmitter.

So that setup is all working. But I would like to be able to do the following without having to restart the receivers or transmitter:

a) Use a smart phone to effectively turn a "receiver" on or off
b) Use a smart phone to control the delay individually in each receiver.

Ideally I'd like to use a bluetooth to turn each receiver on/off and change the delays. This isn't going to be a frequent process; maybe a few times on any given day. I suppose I could also use the "transmitter" code to control the delay and which receiver to send the signal to.

The problem is I am not familiar enough with the code to know how to implement this. I have tried a few methods of capturing serial monitor data, but it stops the loop that monitors the button state.
I can post my current code if that helps.

I don't believe it's a hard thing to do. I've spent hours trying to find out how to do it, reading and learning; but I just can't quite seem to get it.

Cheers,
Jase

I can post my current code if that helps.

It is essential that you post your current code.

I don't believe it's a hard thing to do. I've spent hours trying to find out how to do it, reading and learning; but I just can't quite seem to get it.

If you've spent hours trying to do it, and failed, why have you concluded that it is easy?