Charging LiPo battery while MKR1000 is running on it.

I want to use the MKR1000 in a remote location where only variable (intermittent) harvested energy (but regulated voltage) is available. I plan on using an MCP73831 charger (the same type used in the MKR) to charge the battery while it is being used by the MKR. The MKR circuit shows that it works on battery when the 5v inputs are not available. It looks like that would work because the MKR 3.3v voltage regulator can handle a variable input. So the question is: Can the battery be charged while driving the MKR? Using two batteries with switches makes the system too complicated and energy consuming.

mrlewis:
I want to use the MKR1000 in a remote location where only variable (intermittent) harvested energy (but regulated voltage) is available. I plan on using an MCP73831 charger (the same type used in the MKR) to charge the battery while it is being used by the MKR. The MKR circuit shows that it works on battery when the 5v inputs are not available. It looks like that would work because the MKR 3.3v voltage regulator can handle a variable input. So the question is: Can the battery be charged while driving the MKR? Using two batteries with switches makes the system too complicated and energy consuming.

The important question is: can your MKR1000 run on the voltage you are using to charge the battery?

Paul

MKR1000 runs on 3.3v. Battery charges at 4.2v. AP7215 regulator on MKR1000 can handle charger voltage input which it would step down to 3.3v. My inclination is to do it but I would like to hear from someone who has or an Arduino person/designer.

Thanks for your response,
Myron

I don't understand what you want to do. The MKR1000 has a built-in LIPO charger complete with load sharing circuit that allows it to run at the same time the battery is being charged. Why do you need a second charger?

At the location I mentioned above no reliable source of 5 volts is available even from the energy harvester. That is why it is best to use the harvester to power a battery charger which can use 3.75v to 6v and allow the battery to power the MKR1000 all the time and when harvester voltage becomes available again it will charge the battery. I have tried putting the harvester output from a 5v regulator into Vin but the system fails when the harvester voltage can’t supply the regulator because of current requirements. So it seems that the best bet is recharging the battery (6600 maHours – enough for 33 hours) intermittently, hopefully within 33 hours.