Charlieplexing 60 LED's to form a clock

Hello everyone, I am finding difficulties in charlieplexing 60 LED's to form a clock using arduino. I understand the principles of charlieplexing, the difficulty has to do with which pins will serve as the hour hand/LED and which ones will serve as the minute hand/LED. Most charplieplexing involves one LED working at a time, however since I am trying to form a clock I will need 2 LED's on at a time to show the hours and minutes. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

since I am trying to form a clock I will need 2 LED's on at a time to show the hours and minutes

Is that true, or could you have one on at a time alternating with the other one so fast that it fools the eye/brain into seeing them both as on, ie multiplexing

Much better idea - just get a NeoPixel ring!

Link

Light as many as you want, in any colours.

How will it be possible to distinguish the hands? 5 past 12 is not the same as 1 o'clock, for instance.

MarkT:
How will it be possible to distinguish the hands? 5 past 12 is not the same as 1 o'clock, for instance.

Colour

aarg:
Colour

Nope, read the posting again and engage brain.

MarkT:
Nope, read the posting again and engage brain.

Well, that was for the neoPixels... but you could dim or flash them...

Ah, I was answering the OP, pointing out its not as simple as they think!

Or, with [u]serial addressing[/u] you can individually address an almost unlimited number of LEDs.

I have a project that has 48 addressable LEDs driven by 6 daisy-chained [u]MAX6968 LED driver chips[/u]. These are serially addressed so it only takes 3 control lines for the serial addressing. There are other similar chips an some have more outputs.

NeoPixel strips use a different kind of serial addressing that only requires one data line.