Charlieplexing

I'm pretty new to this stuff, but was trying to take on a charlieplexing project I saw from instructables. (http://www.instructables.com/id/Charlieplexed-Arduino-8x8-LED-Grid-Display-Shield-/). I attempted to recreate this on a much smaller scale of 3x3 and on a breadboard. i managed to get the wiring done the same way outlined in the instructable, and was able to get all 9 LEDs to light up using the code given. I was wondering how I would go about creating designs, or moving patterns with this type of matrix. What would i have to change in the code. I am unable to do anything but make certain LEDs stay on and others off. Like I said, I am extremely new at this stuff and I apologize if I'm being too vague or asking an obvious question. Thanks for the help!

So you are asking how to change code that you have modified from a web site that is notorious for hosting utter crap?

Yes it is vague in the extreme.

Post your schematic and code, read the forum rules for how to,post code correctly.

jaredalanis:
I am unable to do anything but make certain LEDs stay on and others off.

Charlieplexing is time-sliced multiplexing.

Actually you can only light up ONE LED at a time.

But you can make it look as if multiple LEDs are lighting for the human eye if you switch the LEDs on/off fast enough.

Let's say you want to see three LEDs on "at the same time".

Actually, only ONE LED can be on, but if you switch the LEDs fast:
1st LED on for 4µs - other LEDs off
2nd LED on for 4µs - other LEDs off
3rd LED on for 4µs- other LEDs off
then repeat the sequence over andover
then you will have a sequence with a 12 µs period - and for the human eye it looks as if all three LEDs are lighting all the time.

If you show 25 pictures/frames per second, the human eye cannot see a single picture, but everything is overlapped because the human eye is slow.

jurs:
Charlieplexing is time-sliced multiplexing.

No, they are not the same concept at all. Certainly you can do charlieplexing and time-division multiplexing in the same circuit. But you can also do either one without the other.

jurs:
Actually you can only light up ONE LED at a time.

Sorry, but that's not correct either. It's a common misconception about charlieplexing. You can light groups of LEDs together. Of course, you still need to watch you don't exceed the current limitations of the Arduino pins & ports, and you can use transistors to overcome some of those limits like you can with a non-charlieplexed circuit.

Your advice to the OP is great. I just wanted to set a couple of things straight for anyone else reading the thread.

Paul