Charset of IDE changed?

I wrote a simple html Parser that worked with an older version of the arduino-ide, but with my current version (1.6.3) the character-set of the ide seems to have changed.
I wrote the following code to show you what I mean:

void setup() {
char *test = "ö";
byte cnt = 0;

Serial.begin(115200);
while (test[cnt]) Serial.print(test[cnt++]);
while(1);
}

void loop() {

}

The result is "ö" instead of the expected "ö"!?

Thanks for the answers in advance!

Was ö entered from the keyboard or pasted from another application?

I believe the editor used to use UTF-8 character set. Is that your understanding?

That's... that's kinda nasty, honestly....

If you use UTF-8 for the files, string literals with char codes >127 will be broken; if you try to put something with a char code >127 in, that'll be converted to two or more bytes to store as UTF-8, but whatever is listening on serial is probably using ASCII, so each such character gets displayed as multiple other characters...

If you use UTF-8 for the files, string literals with char codes >127 will be broken ... but whatever is listening on serial is probably using ASCII...

The fix / workaround for that situation is trivial.

Given the number of people on the forum who have encountered that situation it is certainly not worth losing any sleep over it.

Finally, please try to stay on-topic.

...the solution was simple. I just had to replace the two character strings with the equivalent unicode/utf-8 letter (e.g. "ö" with "ö")!