Cheap Arduino for a beginner

Can anyone help me I am looking for a cheap board to mess around with until I have the funds to invest in a big project. I don't care if they are clones as I will buy a Official Arduino when I can afford it with enough supplies to make somthing cool. I have been looking at the funduino uno.

If you're after inexpensive, why not make a bare bones setup:
bootloaded 328P, 16 MHz xtal, two 22pF caps, 10K resistor, four 0.1uF caps, reset switch.
USB/Serial module for programming.
Can get all here for not much money, add a 5V wallwart for power.

https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy_pins.html

And what do you mean with "beginner"?

New to electronics?
New to micro-controllers?
New to the Arduino family?

An Uno R3 is something like 30$

If you want cheap, you can get an ft232 board for 3,55$ and a pro mini clone for 2,93$
..... But you will have to solder. How much of a beginner are you?

If you are a real beginning beginner, I would recommend saving up for an original Uno R3.
Then you know that it will be working correctly, and you can start learning.

another option is a mini on e-bay.
with shipping it will be less than $3.00 you will HAVE TO get a usb module to program the unit.

alas, to do much, you need to connect to other things. I would recommend you also get stackable headers so you can plug things into the device..

TheConanRider:
Can anyone help me I am looking for a cheap board to mess around with until I have the funds to invest in a big project. I don't care if they are clones as I will buy a Official Arduino when I can afford it with enough supplies to make somthing cool. I have been looking at the funduino uno.

Get an arduino uno clone, they are cheaper. If you are a real beginner building yourself a board may be a big headache.
Heres a clone option (22 USD) Seeed Studio Bazaar, The IoT Hardware enabler.

For lowest cost to just get started it's hard to beat the Asian E-bay Nano boards, free shipment, free USB cable, plugs right into a breadboard. $6.55

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nano-V3-0-ATmega328P-Module-Board-Free-Mini-USB-Cable-for-Arduino-TR-/181286407178?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a35830c0a

And only 2.5 to 6+ weeks for delivery ...

CrossRoads:
And only 2.5 to 6+ weeks for delivery ...

Maybe for some, but maybe because I live on the west coast I've never had to wait more then 10-12 days on the dozens and dozens of asian e-bay purchases I've made over the years. Except during their long new years holidays.

retrolefty:
Maybe for some, but maybe because I live on the west coast I've never had to wait more then 10-12 days on the dozens and dozens of asian e-bay purchases I've made over the years. Except during their long new years holidays.

I'm jealous. It takes 1.5 to 2 months to Southamerica.

dave-in-nj:
I would recommend you also get stackable headers so you can plug things into the device..

Nah, breadboard is cheap enough, more flexible than the UNO and shields.

TheConanRider:
Can anyone help me I am looking for a cheap board to mess around with until I have the funds to invest in a big project

Really as has been suggested here already, why not buy a real Uno first? If you can afford the $15 for a clone, why not $30 for the real thing? I know money can be tight but you really can't afford $15 more to have a reference board to start with?

Then buy a cheap FTDI clone ($3 from eBay) and start making your own sub-$3US boards (or buy some other clones).

Seem cheap insurance to be able to know if the problem is your clone (or some other cheap knock-off) or your code.

Plus you get that warm and fuzzy feeling of knowing your helping do Open Source hardware the right way.

Just my $0.02.

Regards.

Brad
KF7FER

Really as has been suggested here already, why not buy a real Uno first?

I always respond with the above line. It makes the most sense: the board will work, run all UNO examples, and is the ultimate "reference" design. Everyone needs one (or more) solid hardware devices for ensuring that a program is actually correct. Moving away to your code on a one-off clone causes so must frustration.

When you are confident to move forward, then the UNO makes a great "backup" and "sanity" platform, or a nice AVR programmer for your own designs.

Ray