Cheap FCC Pre-Approved RF Modules

Hello,
I am currently working on a fun project that needs some wireless communication between multiple Arduinos. I am aware of Xbee and the pre made PCB modules. I am looking for a breakout board of an FCC pre-approved RF module. I know Xbee is that sort of thing but I am planning making a final board and I want to be able to have a few made, and therefore I don't want to have to buy a PCB Xbee Module for each board. My questions are:

1. Can I just purchase the SMD IC that is on an Xbee module for my device? (I am pretty sure I can)

2. If the first question is a yes, which type of communication would be best for my needs? Range needs to be at least 20 feet and I really don't need more than 100 and would be okay with 50 to 100 feet max.

3. If not, does anyone know of a cheap IC that would fit my needs?

Thanks all, I am new to wireless communication so I apologize if this is a really obvious question. All i could find on Google was Xbee or extremely basic RF transceivers that are definitely not FCC pre-approved.

1. Can I just purchase the SMD IC that is on an Xbee module for my device? (I am pretty sure I can)

An XBee consists of a radio and a microcontroller in a non-open-source design. I don't think you'll be able to buy "just the SMD IC".

Take a look at Roving Networks, they have a lot of modules you can do things with.
http://www.rovingnetworks.com/
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/rf-if-and-rfid/rf-transceivers/3539948?k=microchip%20technology

If you do this then the result will not be FCC approved, even if all the components and modules are. FCC need to approve the finished product not the module. The reason is that even an approved module when placed on a board might be in such an electrical environment that it breaks some aspect of the approval. Therefore any change regardless of what it is requires new separate FCC approval.