Cheap pro-mini doesnt blink.

I bought two arduino pro minis from ebay, strangley enough they sent me four, I tested each of them and only one successfully have a sketch uploaded to it without the sync error that a lot of people get that can mean so many different things.

I can upload a sketch to a pro mini using ftdi 232 unlike the other three! a blinking light sketch quite well known I have set pin 4 to be the data pin and connected an LED to it the end to ground obviously, however if run the arduino, nothing happens!

what could it be? I flipped the LED over a few times :confused:

Also:

I have also bought cheap esp2866, gsm modules and led displays, none of which work!

I do get limited functionality with wifi chips and have had a lot of bugs and errors and even in one case a whole bunch of iffy mini usb cables to make it all that bit harder.

Is it a known thing that cheap modules are less likley to work than the well over piced ones? it doesnt seem to make sense to make something that can be bought cheaper? is the Pi zero going to replace the arduino?

devonrevenge:
I bought two arduino pro minis from ebay, strangley enough they sent me four, I tested each of them and only one successfully have a sketch uploaded to it without the sync error that a lot of people get that can mean so many different things.

I can upload a sketch to a pro mini using ftdi 232 unlike the other three!

Try burning the bootloader again.

a blinking light sketch quite well known I have set pin 4 to be the data pin and connected an LED to it the end to ground obviously, however if run the arduino, nothing happens!

what could it be? I flipped the LED over a few times :confused:

Did you use a resistor? If not, the LED is probably dead.

I do get limited functionality with wifi chips and have had a lot of bugs and errors and even in one case a whole bunch of iffy mini usb cables to make it all that bit harder.

And you didn’t post the errors…

Is it a known thing that cheap modules are less likley to work than the well over piced ones? it doesnt seem to make sense to make something that can be bought cheaper?

That old saying comes to mind, “you get what you pay for.”

is the Pi zero going to replace the arduino?

I don’t see that happening.

The cheapo pro minis have always worked okay for me - but there definitely have been bad batches going around. There was a batch of bogus PCBs going around (where the connections were wrong - dwsy robot on the back - pm me if you have one of these, I have notes somewhere on how to fix them). The key to the economics working out is that most of them are fine, and even if you had to throw out half the ones you got, you're still paying a fraction what you would for a real board.

They're not always bootloaded, and those that are bootloaded aren't always bootloaded with the same bootloader.

The quick thing I would try first is uploading to them, telling the IDE that they're an Uno, or a Pro Mini, or a Duemillanovae. See if any of them work (they all use the same chip, and all had different bootloaders. Many people bootload anything with a '328p on it as if it were an Uno, since Optiboot is the best (smallest) of the bootloaders used - but I would not be terribly surprised to see any '328p arduino bootloader running on cheap clones)

Failing that, if you have an ISP programmer, try re-bootloading them.