Cheap TB6560 Blue Stepper Driver question.

Hello,

I have one of the chinese TB6560 controllers that I would like to use with only one motor. As I've heard before and it says in the documentation, powering it up without a motor attached will damage it. Is there anyway I can attach a "fake" motor to it to prevent this?

Thanks
Dan

I don't know to be honest. I am assuming they make 'motor' dummy loads that don't actually spin but I don't know that.

But I guess the real question is why would you want to do that? If you are buying the motor driver I am assuming it's purpose is to drive motors and so I would expect you also have stepper motors on order. So I would just wait and test it all as a unit.

Sorry, I guess I should clarify.

I bought a kit off ebay that had the controller and 3 motors for a project. I ended going in a different direction (Shapeoko2 instead of building my own - excellent choice IMO). Now I dreamed up another use for the kit but I only need one motor. I know I could just get a single axis controller, but I'd like to use what I have.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you have a link to the datasheet? I'm curious to what it says about being damaged if started without motor attached.

Not a datesheet per se, but it does say it in the ebay listing.

I’ve also heard the same thing about L293D, it’s not good to have it powered on without a motor attached.

I’m wondering since I’m not putting a load on the 2 axis, if I just connect A to A- and B to B- with jumpers with that will do. I really have no idea.

I didn't see anything about not operating without a motor attached; just a warning not to change connections while it is powered on (which isn't the same thing.)

Also "It's NOT compatible with stepper motors with rated current below 1.5A", but I think that's more a matter of the chopper-based current limiting not being able to work at lower current levels.

Ahhhh, I get it now. Thanks for your help!