Cheap water level sensor

Hey!

I am building a hydroponics system and I'm in need of a water level indicator and could use some help. Is there any similar existing projects? I know there is a lot of posts about this but good answers are rare.

• What I'm looking for is something that can be built, I preferably don't want to buy a sensor and just hook it up.
  • It doesn't have to tell exact water level. Just lets say three levels; "LOW", "AVERAGE" and "HIGH"
  • Cheap
  • As plants will grow their roots in the water I guess some kind of sensors could damage the roots. Don't really have much info on this part.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

If you just hook it into water then it is not professional(I am not recommended). If the total water level system operate in battery or some small source then you can directly hook the wires into the water for detecting the water level. If this involve Power line I am not recommended. Your choice.

If you want safe then

You could use float switches. You want only indicator then you could use transistor and LED. If you want control any based on level then you need some extra circuit.

SureshKumar2610:
If you just hook it into water then it is not professional(I am not recommended). If the total water level system operate in battery or some small source then you can directly hook the wires into the water for detecting the water level. If this involve Power line I am not recommended. Your choice.

If you want safe then

You could use float switches. You want only indicator then you could use transistor and LED. If you want control any based on level then you need some extra circuit.

No offence but, this is the kind of vague answer I meant earlier.

What do you mean by "total water level system operate in battery"?
How does "float switches" work?
What do you mean with "You want only indicator then you could use transistor and LED"?

There are a few option... but if you wish to build it yourself, that is the sort of sensor you might be looking:

You basically use the water as a conductor, so if water is touching the metal plates you'll have some small current and can use the analog ports to read the voltage. Just keep in mind that the sensor will corrode after some time, affecting the readings... you can be creative and have an replaceable metal plates.

Other options is to use a non-touching technique, like ultrasonic sensor to measure the water level.

No offence but, this is the kind of vague answer I meant earlier.

What do you mean by "total water level system operate in battery"?
How does "float switches" work?
What do you mean with "You want only indicator then you could use transistor and LED"?

1.The total water level systems.(Your water level controller)
2. It has a reed sensor inside the sensor. one float case have magnetic. that comes to nearly that is connect. means try to allow one lead to another lead like switch.
3.If you want to only indicate the level of the water then you just simple circuit.

1. Try to google it the float switches. and try some research about this water level. using this key words "cheap water level controller Do it Your self" before posting.
  1. Float with magnet in a PVC pipe. A hall sensor switch as a sensor that tells the system that water passed a certain level.

2. Optical, based on refraction. I managed to get approximate level and "empty" switch with only two components.

3)Ultrasonic - not my favorite as it may corrode in moisture.