Cheap way to get relative position or absolute position

I know it's expensive to get precise absolute position of my arduino in a 2D space. I should use GPS but it's too expensive to my project.

I actually dont need to know the absolute position, I just need the relative position. I mean: if I hold my arduino in my hand and I walk 2 meters to my front, I would like my arduino to report I walked 2 meters in the X axis. I dont need my absolute coords like a GPS would do.

I tried using MPU6050 and integrate the accel twice in every direction but it's too noisy. I dont need good precision, if I could have at least 70% precision it would be fine, for example: if I walked 1 meter to the front and arduino could report I walked from 0.70 to 1.3 meter it would be great.

How can I do that? I actually dont care about the real distance, I just would like to know that if I walked X meters to the front, arduino could report I walked to the front and assign that amount to a variable. It does not need to translate to a real world distance.

I could use a robot with encoders to know how long I moved in the 2d space and where I am. But arduino will be placed in a person's hand walking randonly to front/sides.

It is very, very hard to calculate position from a IMU unit due to accumulating noise through double integration

This video is a very good reference for why (go to 23:20 for a detailed explanation).

thanks, good video

There are gps solutions available for $6-10 USD they require a little more wiring than a GPS shield but the price difference offsets the minor difficulties that the wiring causes. Would they fit yor budget?

Would they fit yor budget?

More importantly, will they work in your environment? That is, will the device only be used outdoors?

Wowo I didnt know there were so cheap gps devices! Could you please point me a link of one? Do you have any idea of it precision?

I been working with GPS and they are not really accurate in space, a simple GPS will have a error of 2 to 5 meters while moving slowly, only a military GPS will have the accuracy of cm.

What you said reminded me of something that i saw long time ago using a MPU Gyro/Acc you can approximatly calculate but you need a movement, with your hands you can’t but you move your feet while moving so you reminded me of following video:>>>

Video:

they use a mpu and the axes to display the movement of the sensor on the feet while calculating the approx distance in 3 dimensions.

Hope i gave you an idea of what you need.

D.60

@Domino60 you saved me money and time! I didnt know commercial GPS sucked so much... I thought I could easily get 10cm precision which looks like is not the case.

The video you provided is A M A Z I N G! I will get in touch with those guys, hope they can share their algo!

I checked out the link in the description of that video because I was quite interested in buying a board... Until I saw the price tag :o

The board? You can use MPU6050 and an arduino to get all the 6dof needed to run on matlab. Why would you pay that?

batata004: The board? You can use MPU6050 and an arduino to get all the 6dof needed to run on matlab. Why would you pay that?

I wouldn't! (if i had that kind of money i would, that is pretty darn cool)

batata004: @Domino60 you saved me money and time! I didnt know commercial GPS sucked so much... I thought I could easily get 10cm precision which looks like is not the case.

Sucked? You think pinpointing a 2m coordinate anywhere on the Earth from satellites 100's of kilometers up in space, hurtling around at 1000's of kph, with an affordable device you can hold in your hand is not a respectable achievement?

The video you provided is A M A Z I N G! I will get in touch with those guys, hope they can share their algo!

Why to get in touch when you can build your own one?

Sucked? You think pinpointing a 2m coordinate anywhere on the Earth from satellites 100's of kilometers up in space, hurtling around at 1000's of kph, with an affordable device you can hold in your hand is not a respectable achievement?

I agree with you, GPS is the best thing you can get nowadays and really cheap for hobbiests, I'm really glad that i can have a GPS module and do my experiments :D and it's only 9$