Cheap way to signal arduino from far far away

I think it would be nice is set something up for my Raspberry Pi that shuts it down once it has halted, and turns it back on when I need it. I've got it set up so I can get into over 3G. Is there any way to signal an arduino to close a relay through my phone without an expensive ethernet shield or calling the house phone and bugging everyone? I know it's a pretty big request but I'm hoping someone has a clever idea...

Thanks

stoopkid: I think it would be nice is set something up for my Raspberry Pi that shuts it down once it has halted, and turns it back on when I need it. I've got it set up so I can get into over 3G. Is there any way to signal an arduino to close a relay through my phone without an expensive ethernet shield or calling the house phone and bugging everyone? I know it's a pretty big request but I'm hoping someone has a clever idea...

If $12 shipped for an ethernet shield is too expensive for you, perhaps you need another hobby.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ethernet-Shield-Network-board-W5100-For-Arduino-2009-UNO-Mega-1280-2560-Blue-/300733007788?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46051587ac

ohhh I thought you could only get em for around $40...

Ok, well in that case does anyone have any experience or tips with using free internet SMS services for this sort of thing or what the most direct way of accomplishing this would be? I basically just want to send simply commands to it, shutdown, turn on, etc. And have it notify my of little things, I have shut down, turned on, etc.

edit: also, I plan on making it a standalone atmega328 once I'm done, is there a similarly priced alternative to the shield that is better suited for a breadboard or PCB?

stoopkid:
ohhh I thought you could only get em for around $40…

Ok, well in that case does anyone have any experience or tips with using free internet SMS services for this sort of thing or what the most direct way of accomplishing this would be? I basically just want to send simply commands to it, shutdown, turn on, etc. And have it notify my of little things, I have shut down, turned on, etc.

edit: also, I plan on making it a standalone atmega328 once I’m done, is there a similarly priced alternative to the shield that is better suited for a breadboard or PCB?

Well there are the ENC28J60 about 5 bucks as a premade board it does come as a dip part though I find it’s cheaper to buy the assembly and put a 10 pin header and 4 standoff holes on the PCB. It’s not a IP stack on a chip like the wiznet but it’s also not limited like one either so you can run ipv6 on it etc at the expense of more ram and flash usage.

Ok, well in that case does anyone have any experience or tips with using free internet SMS services for this sort of thing

Why would you want to send the Ethernet shield text messages?

Far easier to have the Arduino as server serve up a web page with some buttons. Press a button, and the client (the browser on your phone) sends the Arduino a new GET request with additional data.

Parse that additional data, and figure out what to do.

Ok so I've found this board and this library. With the proper router configuration should I be able to use these to make a simple web page that can report conditions and receive simple commands?

Ok so I've found this board and this library. With the proper router configuration should I be able to use these to make a simple web page that can report conditions and receive simple commands?

You could. But, those boards are a lot harder to use than the W5100 based on from earlier.

Yeah I just read that in another thread... So I guess I'll go with that one, I wish there was a W5100 set up for a ribbon cable like the other one, but I'm not finding anything.

Thanks, everyone.