Cheapest and easiest way to add USB to TTL to project?

Hi all, I would like to be able to add serial comms on-board to a couple of my projects instead of using USB converter boards.

Juts been looking at FTDI FT232 IC's but they are not really that cheap of available to me, also have quite a number of pins that I wouldn't need and small pitch for home made PCB's.

What other options are there?

Some older cellphones would interface to a computer through a USB-to-Serial cable.

DIY USB to Serial Cable For $3!
http://www.uchobby.com/index.php/2009/10/04/diy-usb-to-serial-cable-for-3/

DIY USB to Serial Cable For $3!

Building PL2303 USB to Serial converter from old data cable
http://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/building-pl2303-usb-to-serial-converter-from-old-data-cable

Hi John thanks for the info, I will take a look.

I was more thinking along the lines of controller IC's with simple support circuitry that I can incorporate into my projects on my homemade PCB's?

dtokez:
Hi John thanks for the info, I will take a look.

I was more thinking along the lines of controller IC's with simple support circuitry that I can incorporate into my projects on my homemade PCB's?

In that case the FTDI FT232RL chip is the one used on arduino boards prior to the Uno series and drivers are still part of the IDE distrubution.

Lefty

The controller ICs with built in oscillators need the fewest support - like FT232RL.
They are only available surface mount.
I found the easiest is to use a module with thru hole pins & the chip & Mini-B connector on it.
Like FTDI Breakou Board, or MIKROE483 from Mouser. Cypress also makes a chip similar to FT232.

dtokez:
Hi all, I would like to be able to add serial comms on-board to a couple of my projects instead of using USB converter boards.

Juts been looking at FTDI FT232 IC's but they are not really that cheap of available to me, also have quite a number of pins that I wouldn't need and small pitch for home made PCB's.

What other options are there?

FT230X and FT231X, the latest releases from FTDI, are half the price (bulk quantity) of the FT232, and they offer essentially the same features as far as USB-to-Serial communication is concerned.

Cheers guys, I guess the FTDI stuff is the way to go then, I will do some more research!

Thanks