Cheapest and simplest wireless-controlled TV remote control.

Hello everyone,

A friend of mine has a very annoying sister who often forget the TV switched on and with loud volume. Being my friend a very lazy one, and being afraid of his sister, he prefers to turn off the TV from his comfortable (and safe) bedroom. This is his problem.

He basically needs two things: build a TV remote controller, control the controller via wi-fi, bluetooth or any other wireless communication sistem.

To build a TV remote controller its something I managed to do once on an arduino, using the IRremote library: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_IRremote.html. This is the easiest way it comes in my mind.

In order to setup the wireless communication though, I don't know how to procede, considering that the budget for the whole operation is in the order of 30 euro. I thought of buying him a Moteino, that seems the cheapest work around, but then I don't know if the IRremote library will work on that board (anyone knows?).

Do you have any heads-up? Basically I'm looking for the cheapest way to control somehow (wirelessly) a board capable of running the IRremote library. Respecting the 30 euro budget.

Thanks!

A friend of mine has a very annoying sister who often forget the TV switched on and with loud volume.

I doubt that she forgets.

Being my friend a very lazy one

That's always a problem.

I'm looking for the cheapest way to control somehow (wirelessly)

What range? What reliability is needed? The cheap 433 MHz radios would probably work. Whatever you are sending data to needs to be able to see the television, so the sister could just toss it, or cover it up, defeating the whole purpose.

Diplomacy and tact seem like much better solutions.

Pro mini 3.3V & NRF24l01+ & IR LED should cost a [u]lot[/u] less than $30.

Lots of examples available via search, you just have to 'glue' the examples together.

Combine a tv-b-gone with a wireless doorbell switch. Mount on the ceiling. No smarts required.

Diplomacy is not an option with his sister.

Moreover the architecture of the house is such that there is a perfect hidden spot close to the television -- 2 meters in line of sight. The remote control should be able to be activated from at least a couple of meters with possible obstacles in between.

Absolute rock-bottom cost?

On the sending side: a button which powers some kind of oscillator (a simple two-transistor circuit, examples abound on Google) to send a ~1kHz signal into the input pin of a 315/433MHz RF transmitter.

On the receiving side: a 315/433MHz receiver, an ATtiny85, and an IR LED via a darlington or super-beta transistor such as the ZTX1049A. When the ATtiny detects a 1kHz signal for longer 50ms from the RF module output pin, it blasts out the appropriate IR code.