im going deep with a dj controller project and faced an old enemy. the potentiometers and their high cost (for a no budget project)
bythe way im talking about variable resistors!
well ive learned that there are some sollutions
here are my chosen:
- salvage potentiometers from old electronic equipment like stereos and stuff (takes time, lack of standards in equipment)
- build your own using a high resistance material and a pointer to be the variable piece. (look for paper resistor)
- use old equipment from optical mice (optical encoders and stuff to track the rotation of an element which is locked so it cant go more than 360 turn)
- use salvaged parts from mechanical mice(same as the one above)
both optical and mechanical mice have the option to be interfaced directly using the ps2 protocol, or the actual used parts can be taken out)
- use some kind of motor that gives output when it turns (reversed motor for rotation input)
thats about it.
for info on the above look here:
fast sketch on the mice usage :
ps2 mouse stuff:
please reply with some advice on cheap ways to immitate the variable resistor with an arduino.