Checklist for wireless sensor system with arduino/raspberry

I am new with Arduino. The purpose it to receive the sensor data in the field and send text messages to the phone or send emails.

Can anyone help me with the hardware checklist?

I have Arduino and raspberry pi set already but not sure which module to choose(for example, Xbee, GSM) and what is needed to establish the whole system in a remote area where wifi is not available.

Thanks.

friendly heads up:

Read “How To Use This Forum”

This is what happens when you do not

what little I know about the subject:

RF module modulation
it’s only a federal law

another heads up: I burned up 4 HC-12 modules. one survived just long enough to cough up its default settings, once. what I think happened: the IC that does all the work is a 3.3 VDC IC. the maker of the module puts a 5 VDC to 3.3 VDC power regulator on the board. they do not put a logic level converter on the board. you send 5 VDC logic to the Serial RX, there is a micro mushroom cloud in the chip, and now you can not communicate with the board. when the next batch comes in I will try a logic level converter between the Arduino & HC12

there are two ends to a link, at my house: the field end and the farm end. what I am doing is making field end boxes. at the moment they are universal boxes, since I don’t know what I need where until I try. since you want a list:

plastic ammo box
euro terminal boards. I use 6 amp for 5 VDC and 10 amp for 12 VDC, to make them easier to spot
Solar panel
charge converter
battery
5 VDC buck converter
2, 2.1 mm DC power cords
a perfboard with a nano, 5>3.3 level converter, and multiple RF modules
an external BNC connector and SMA connector to allow experimenting with antennas
and a weather station sensor at each box, because this gives me a constant feed to test the radios

4 more HC12s, and 2 RFM-69HCWs on the proverbial slow boat from China

danielu207:
I have Arduino and raspberry pi set already but not sure which module to choose

I can't figure out what you already have working and what part of the project you need help with?

If you already have a working system with an Arduino sending data to an RPi and if you want the RPi to send data using a phone system then that sounds to me like a question for an RPi forum.

And if I had an RPi available I would be using that for external communication in preference to an Arduino.

...R

Thank you Greek for the details, saved for reference.

Robin2:
I can't figure out what you already have working and what part of the project you need help with?

If you already have a working system with an Arduino sending data to an RPi and if you want the RPi to send data using a phone system then that sounds to me like a question for an RPi forum.

And if I had an RPi available I would be using that for external communication in preference to an Arduino.

...R

I am using RPI as master and Arduino as slaver because I prefer to use Python which(if i understand correctly)is not for Arduino. For now, it is just for an experiment since I happened to have both RPI and Arduino Uno from friends.

However, the plan is to deploy sensors with Arduino in remote places. So some factors like cost, power supply capability, signal intensity and stability would be our considerations.

danielu207:
However, the plan is to deploy sensors with Arduino in remote places. So some factors like cost, power supply capability, signal intensity and stability would be our considerations.

Do you mean that there will be no RPi connected to the sensors at the remote places?

Am I correct to infer from your Original Post that there is a phone signal at those locations but not a WiFi signal.

And you have not told us the distance from your "master" to the remote locations.

As an alternative to a GSM / 3G /4G module you might wish to consider LoRa - though I have no personal experience of any of them.

...R

R, Thank you for the info. LoRa sounds a better solution for its much lower power output and possibly lower cost as an ultimate solution.