Checkout Wait time meter. Need your help!

I'm trying to think of the best hardware to visually display the checkout wait times based on the lenght of a line/queue at a checkout line for a local supermarket.

I was thinking of using a ping sensor and write some simple code which triggers green, yellow, and red lights based on the estimated wait time for a line. I understand that basing output on only distance of movement of people in line has lots of room for error, so I wanted to see if anyone had some idea of a more accurate why to judge wait time?

I'm trying to think of the best hardware to visually display the checkout wait times

Do you want to inform the customers or do you want to inform the shop manager? (big readable screen versus mystic code?) How many counter's lines are there? Do you want one for all or every counter its own screen?

Use a VGA screen to display a big number, or use a LED arrray or a traffic light e..g. Green = free, orange = busy, red = long !!, no light = closed)

robtillaart: Do you want to inform the customers or do you want to inform the shop manager? (big readable screen versus mystic code?) How many counter's lines are there? Do you want one for all or every counter its own screen?

It would be to inform customers which individual checkout counter has the shortest wait time. There are 10 checkout counter/lines. So from a distance in the store the customer should be able to quickly look and compare which line is estimated to have the shortest wait time.

I would go for the traffic light , people will understand that intuitively

It would be to inform customers which individual checkout counter has the shortest wait time.

In order for this to really work the customers would have to have their credit cards pre-approved before getting in line. I always wind up behind the person who has to try several cards before one works.

Don

floresta:

It would be to inform customers which individual checkout counter has the shortest wait time.

In order for this to really work the customers would have to have their credit cards pre-approved before getting in line. I always wind up behind the person who has to try several cards before one works.

Don

or the people who have more than what they should in the express lane, a coupon for each item, 2 items that need a price verified, and is writing a check slow as possible, while I stand there with a gallon of milk and some lettuce