Chess Board

So, for a school project I want to make an IoT-Kind Chessboard, which transmits moves to my Arduino, then in text form to my PC. Now I can't really decide which of these following ways to use in order to recognize the moves on the board.

• Buttons/ weigt sensors on all the fields, that are released when you move a figure.
  • Hall effect sensors / Reed switches under all fields and magnets on the figures.
    [/list]

I would use my Arduino Mega 2560 for the project, and maybe make for the beginning an 44 or 66 board in order to save costs or if there are too much Sensors/Buttons for the Arduino.

Thanks for your advice :wink:

Thanks for your advice

What is your question?

I strongly suspect you have not read 'how to use this forum - please read' (big clue in the title). Please read it.

You will get more friendly, helpful advice if you follow the forum rules.

What is your question?

So to consider the OP's not-a-question:

Buttons/ weigt sensors on all the fields, that are released when you move a figure.

About 35 years ago my wife had a Kasparov portable set, where each piece had a "spike" (for want of a better word) and each square had a hole. The weight of the piece didn't activate the switch inside the hole, but you had to press the piece down to do that.

So to declare which piece was about to be moved (or more correctly, which square a piece was about to move from, since each piece was identical as far as recognition was concerned), you pressed it down to activate the switch, then moved it, and pressed it into the hole at the destination to register its arrival. Once it was in the hole, its switch was released due its low mass; a new click meant it was about to be moved.

(But that was a portable set, where the spikes in the holes held the pieces in place during transit.)

Even "beefy" pieces on a static board may not reliably keep a button / weight sensor pressed. I like the idea of having to click the piece before and after the move, as a very positive way of doing things. It also means that if the cat jumps on the board and knocks pieces over, the system won't get its knickers in a knot trying to register illegal moves.

Side note, which I suspect will cause more discussion than the actual not-a-question question:

Very often in face-to-face speech, questions are implied by tone and so on, even though the words aren't technically a question. So too in the written word, where here:

I can't really decide which of these...

...and...

Thanks for your advice

.. together simply and unambiguously imply:

I can't really decide which of these...and I thank you for advising me which is better.

To suggest there's no question, while technically correct, is disingenuous and highlights the problem with forums like this.