chinese mega2560 clone "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" windows 7

Hi all,

I'm struggling to get my chinese mega2560 clone installed on my windows 7 PC.

I've read through a few other threads with similar problems, and tried downloading various different .inf files and drivers, some of which didn't work at all, but I've finally found one which did successfully recognise and install the device as "Arduino Mega 2560 R3 (COM10)", but after rebooting, a little yellow warning triangle appeared next to it on device manager and it's giving me "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

I've tried rebooting a couple of times, I've tried using a shorter USB cable, I've tried plugging directly into the PC rather than an external hub (as suggested on another thread) but I'm still getting This device cannot start.

On the board itself, one red LED is permanently on, the other blinking at about 1 Hz.

I've looked at the chip next to the USB socket on the mega board itself, and it's a CH340G.

I tried using the default windows 7 USB driver, which installs fine with no errors, but it doesn't recognise the board as a mega2560, it just says CH340 serial USB and it won't talk to the IDE (I'm on 1.8.12).

Please please please can someone point me in the right direction - I'm pulling my hair out here!

Many thanks in advance

John

update…
I’ve been trying various different drivers from old threads on this issue, and it seems I must have managed to upload the “blink” test sketch at some point during my tinkering, because the LED on the board is flashing at exactly one second on, one second off… but I’ve no idea how I’ve managed to do that since the IDE has always reported an error each time I’ve tried to upload.

I’ve found some Chinese CH340/CH341 drivers which I’ve installed, and now the arduino just shows up as “USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM11)” in device manager - is this correct? It used to say “Arduino Mega 2560 R3”.

I’ve selected COM11 from tools in the IDE and tried to upload, but I just get the following error message:

Arduino: 1.8.12 (Windows 7), Board: “Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

Sketch uses 1448 bytes (0%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 8183 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can’t open device “\.\COM11”: Access is denied.

avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: The handle is invalid.

avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail
avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port
avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: The handle is invalid.

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File → Preferences.

Sorry.
I missed this one.

And you installed the proper CH340 driver from the Chinese site (see second link below) ?
It should show up the way you see it now "Arduino Mega 2560 R3 (COM10)".

The blink sequence sounds correct for the default blink sketch (usually installed by default)

A pic of the board may help JIC its some oddball. (see second link for help with pics)

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.

Thanks for your reply ballscrewbob

When I installed the chinese CH340 driver (found on another thread), it didn't give me any option to select "Arduino Mega 2560 R3 (COM10)" - it just shows up under Ports in device manager as "USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM11)" (it's moved onto COM11 now after all my messing around)

However, I have found that if I hit the reset switch on the mega board the very instant that "Uploading" appears on the IDE notifications bar, then the sketch does upload fine. But it has to be the very instant "Uploading" appears - a fraction early or a fraction late and I get the error message as above. I can actually upload now, but it is insanely frustrating because the "Uploading" only appears on screen for a fraction of a second before it quits and gives me the error message.

I found a note buried deep on another thread the other day (which I now can't find again... sheesh) that talked about a particular capacitor connecting the CH340 chip to the reset pin of the on the processor, and on these Chinese boards it was sometimes tempermental, and this guy had soldered a replacement capacitor onto the board.

Could that be something to do with mine or is it likely to be a driver issue since I still can't see the actual board description in device manager?

thanks again

pic of board

(mod edit)

Did you install the Arduino IDE? It should recognize an ATmega1280 or ATmega2560 out the box. No special drivers needed, except for the ATmega + ESP8266 combo.

What is the description of the board on the web site of the seller? URL of the seller?

Send a picture of the board.

That is a clone with a CH340/341 so seeing "USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM11)" would be correct for that board.
I made a mistake earlier.
That is shows in device manager is a very good sign.

Remove all connections to the board then in BOARD MANAGER in the IDE manually select the port and the board flavor (2560)

Try to upload one of the example sketches such as Blink but modify the delays (maybe double them) and take not of any errors that you may see in the lower console.
Have already given you the links with what and how to proceed posting the output.