chip hooked up to 5v only outputs 3v on pins

Too brain dead on the subject to think :P here is what I have going

my arduino is acting like a isp programmer bouncing to a breadboard attiny 84, using the core files, found here, I can compile arduino sketches in both 17 and 18 for the 84

although I cant point and click the upload button (YET!) I have it worked out with avrdude, have successfully set the fuses according to the above post blah blah blah and currently have the blink sketch running on a stand alone attiny84

after spending many evenings farting around with getting all of THAT working I am quite happy, but the attiny84 is only outputting 3 volts despite vcc and aref are both tied to +5

Now I do not expect anyone to start digging into the inner workings of a tiny84. But, any ideas you might have of why this would happen on a standard issue arduino are welcome!

and thanks

What happens if you leave AREF unconnected?

same

Does this bug-fix help... http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1262743428

yep that fixed it right up, yay I have a blinky led on a 84, now onto the fun stuff

and when aref is connected it freaks out the programmer... odd but analog in is not required so I am rolling with it

yep that fixed it right up, yay I have a blinky led on a 84, now onto the fun stuff

Glad to hear it!

and when aref is connected it freaks out the programmer... odd but analog in is not required so I am rolling with it

Be VERY careful with AREF. There are significant differences between the '84 and the '168/'328. Read and understand the '84 datasheet before connecting anything to it. In addition...

/* analogReference constants for ATmega168.  These are NOT correct for the ATtiny84.  The correct values are below.

// Internal 1.1V Voltage Reference with external capacitor at AREF pin 
#define INTERNAL 3  

// AVCC with external capacitor at AREF pin 
#define DEFAULT 1   

// AREF, Internal Vref turned off 
#define EXTERNAL 0  
*/

// Internal 1.1V voltage reference
#define INTERNAL 2

// VCC used as analog reference, disconnected from PA0 (AREF)
#define DEFAULT 0

// External voltage reference at PA0 (AREF) pin, internal reference turned off
#define EXTERNAL 1

I am getting more friendly with its data sheet, but its a big sheet ;D

meanwhile something of interest (maybe) to you, I completely removed all traces of arduino and started with a default 17, I had made a ton of changes during my hunt and wanted to make sure I had it down

next I tried the suggestion by BenF in macsimski's attiny85 thread and edited the avrdude.conf file,I just found the attiny84 entry and changed it to m84, which removes the type not found error, but

avrdude: stk500_read_sig_bytes(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x12 avrdude: error reading signature data for part "ATtiny84", rc=-2 avrdude: error reading signature data, rc=-1

thinking since I am using a arduino as a programmer it is picking up the bootloader I disconnected the auto reset pin (bare bones board with serial, no biggie) but it does the same thing

just for giggles here is my current boards.txt entry

attiny84.name=ATtiny84

attiny84.upload.protocol=avrisp
attiny84.upload.maximum_size=8192
attiny84.upload.speed=19200

attiny84.bootloader.low_fuses=0xe2
attiny84.bootloader.high_fuses=0xdd
attiny84.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xff
attiny84.bootloader.path=attiny84

attiny84.build.mcu=attiny84
attiny84.build.f_cpu=8000000L
attiny84.build.core=attiny84

meanwhile as long as I keep my current project the same name, and shuffle old ones off to different locations I have it all worked out as a cmd (batch) file, on the other hand it would make a nice ending to a guide

Hello,

How did you manage to set fuses and/or write .hex files to the ATtiny84 via the Arduino ISP?

I am using the same setup as you (although I use a Seeeduino w/ m328 mCU). But I can't even read the fuse bits, let alone write anything to te t84 chip.

The avrdude command l use is this: avrdude -c avrisp -p t84 -P COM9 -U hfuse:r:high.txt -U lfuse:r:low.txt -U

(and I tried other programmers in the -c option, what did you use?)

I should mention that the t84 chip "runs" with a 12MHz XTAL connected to it. Could not find a 16MHz one.

Any ideas???? :-/